Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Accidentally aereated an entire batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2009, 12:49 PM   #1
Ceramiclover
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Accidentally aereated an entire batch

A thoughtless mistake in the siphoning process made the siphon hose work more like a fish tank aerator. there was a gap of air that the beer bbbled through the whole racking process.
the batch was a mexican "cerveza" from extract. i am not going to lie. I am a noob at this and just want to know how badly i screwed this up. i started primary fermentation about eight days ago and racked it into a carboy two days ago. I am wondering whether i should bottle soon, give up on the batch, or say some charms.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Just bottle it when it's ready, give it enough time to condition, then drink it before it becomes too stale. Oxidized beer eventually develops a cardboard-like flavor - still drinkable though.

In the future, use a smaller siphon hose. It may be a pain to get onto the auto-siphon or racking cane, but it won't allow any airbubbles to contact the beer, either.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 03-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've had an air bubble in the siphon tube and not had issues, this was a small bubble though. I use silicone tubing now and a 1/2" autosiphon so it seals really well, and if there is an air bubble you can just pinch the tubing right above it (at the cane) and that will drive it down through the tubing and bubble up out.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 03-12-2009, 01:12 PM   #4
BruDaddy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had the bubbling problem too. Tried the smaller hose and found it to be too much of a pain to get on and off. The solution I found that works perfectly is to secure the hose after sliding it over the end of the auto-siphon cane. I currently use a small hose clamp, but have successful used twist ties (like you get on some bread wrappers) and tie wraps. This allows me to easily fit the hose on the siphon cane, but seal the connection to prevent excess bubbling.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #5
snailsongs
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The other thing that seems to work well (I had this same thing happen to me, and now that beer has a bad off-taste, though I'm not quite sure of the source...) is to make sure and draw as full a stroke as possible with the autosiphon. *****footing around with it makes for a weak start, and that's where the bubbles in the tube seem to start.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:54 PM   #6
Weizenheimer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have had that issue a number of times and the beer has always turned out fine. Don't sweat it.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:15 PM   #7
secinarot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I typically get a few bubbles at the start when I prime the siphon, and then at the end when the carboy is near empty. Any tips on how to avoid that or just don't worry about it?

On Deck: Pale Ale

Old 03-12-2009, 03:25 PM   #8
jacketsfans
Recipes 

A constant bubbling is really what you need to worry about. A few stray bubbles here and there will have a negligible effect, if any. rdwhahb

I am shocked...shocked...to find there is brewing going on here!

@nhlcyclesophist

Old 03-13-2009, 01:34 AM   #9
Ceramiclover
Recipes 

thank you for your responses. it bubbled like crazy, but i at least have some hope now. i will bottle it and give it a try.

Quick Reply