The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Accidentally aerated when transfer to 2ndary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2011, 04:39 PM   #11
onipar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I also get those last bubbles sometimes. Nothing to worry about as far as I can tell.

My last batch, when I racked to bottles, had bubbles flowing through the tube the whole time, only it wasn't oxygen. It was peculiar really, but it seemed like there must have been a lot of c02 in the solution.

At first I thought it was solids shooting through the tube, then I slowed the flow and noticed it was bubbles. First time that had happened.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2011, 04:57 PM   #12
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Since you are transferring to secondary and not to keg or bottles, the yeast will consume the small amount of O2 you might have introduced.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:20 PM   #13
Marathon06
Recipes 

So I'll piggyback off of this. How bad is it if I didn't add the bottling sugar until I had siphoned about a third of the beer into the bottling bucket and then had a little bit of splash when I poured the sugar/water solution into the bottling bucket?

Old 08-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #14
Diver165
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

None... So long as you don't leave the beer open to the air for an extended period of time or splash it aggressively during your pour you'll be OK.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:54 PM   #15
zachary80
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Might as well tag another question onto this...
My first batch of apfelwein is getting the cardboard taste. It was 9 weeks in a 5g better bottle, aged at room temp for 4 weeks, then thrown in the fridge. All in all it is 17 weeks old now.

The thing is, I have no idea what could have oxidized it. Used an autosiphone to bottling bucket with no siphoning. Havn't had any taste of oxidation in more than one bottle of another batch

Any ideas?

Next Batches: Smoke Bomb Imperial Smoked Chipotle Porter, Highrise IPA, Wheat Stout, Lime Apfelwein

Old 08-15-2011, 09:37 AM   #16
mobrewdude
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafferpilot View Post
and it bubbles the entire time during transfer?... yeah, that can be a big problem
How do you cure this? For the life of me I can't figure out what is causing this, I see no air leaks in the tubing. Only on my first batch so I'm sure it will not be an issue on this one since it will dissappear rapidly but I'd like to avoid it in future batches.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:42 AM   #17
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 212

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobrewdude View Post
How do you cure this? For the life of me I can't figure out what is causing this, I see no air leaks in the tubing. Only on my first batch so I'm sure it will not be an issue on this one since it will dissappear rapidly but I'd like to avoid it in future batches.
The diameter gets a little bigger at the junction between the racking cane and the tubing. The puts a little negative pressure on the wort, which creates a little air cavity. It's a low pressure air cavity, not a 100% O2 air cavity. I'd guess there's very little if any O2 in that bubble.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:10 AM   #18
mobrewdude
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

ok, I've been lurking enough to know, rdwhahb... lacking a hb, I'll sub in something that can be filled and capped later

Old 08-22-2011, 12:21 AM   #19
shafferpilot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

the important issue is whether or not bubbles are moving down the tubing. If it is just one bubble sitting in the tube, tumbling around, but not moving down the tubing, it is not a problem. if, however, it is an air leak between the flexible tubing and the cane, and little bits of the bubble are constantly moving down the tube with the beer, it is a problem. don't confuse CO2 bubbles with this though. tiny bubbles of carbonation coming out of suspension is not an issue and is normal. The way to tell the difference is to squeeze junction and if there is an air leak, you will find that if you squeeze it one way, the bubbling stops and if you squeeze it another way, the bubbling increases big time. If that is the case, remove the flexible line and cut off the bit that was stretched by the cane; starsan the end of the cane and push the tube on as far as you can get it being careful NOT to break the cane as they get a little brittle where they heat and bend it.

A great man knows that he knows NOTHING

Quick Reply