Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > ABV tampering advice, what do you think?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 01:45 AM   #11
freisste
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 294 Times on 245 Posts

Hmmm. Ok I'll definitely keep that in mind in the future. Surprised my homebrew store has that in their recipe. They seem pretty knowledgeable.

Are there some grains that are ok with shorter, hotter steeps? Or is 150 for an hour a pretty good across-the-board rule of thumb?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #12
madchemist83
Recipes 

There are some grains that require steeping at different temps like 122 F protein rest I believe, like wheat. But 150 is good middle. Depending on the style ud want higher (more body) or lower (more fermentables) temp

Old 10-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #13
papa87
Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

thanks for all the input guys. and yes, though i have limited experience i second all the grain temp advice from mad chemist. if you're looking to get some fermentable sugar benefit from grains, to boost your ABV, you really have to watch those temps. my understanding is the starch converting enzymes in the grain get deactivated much above 160 and you're left without much ABV benefit from the grain, though for some that's fine because the malt extract covers their bases and the grains are only there for flavor/body, not alcohol

Old 10-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #14
papa87
Recipes 

also i really think i'm gonna take the "boiling up a dose of dme/hops" advice and run with it. 2 lbs DME and 3/4 oz of hops seem to "right" the wrongs of my recipe, on paper anyway (beer calculus/calculators online). any further advice before i do this from anyone? i'm thinking pretty straight forward..... boil it up with minimal water (to not dilute the heck out of the batch any further) and let it cool to the temp of the primary fermenter, pop the top on my carboy and very carefully siphon it in without much splashing or 02 introduction. i know additions to the primary are not really ideal, but given the consensus i'm gathering on here it seems like most of you out there would make an addition and not just ride it out

Old 10-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #15
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 608 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 164

When I use steeping grains I add them to hot tap water and have the stove burner on high (glass top electric). I steep for 20 minutes or when it hits 170 degrees. The time and temperature meet closely.

So, your 30 minutes at 150 degrees should be good.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #16
AMonkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 336 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 17

You won't get much sugars from steeping grains, more about flavor and color. Steeping is just like a tea bag, not mashing. 150-160 for 20 to 30 minutes is what is recommended by most.

And if I was you I would just ride it, it might not have a lot of ABV but it should still taste decent. If anything I would do the fruit addition and notch that off your list to see if you like it. If you start messing with adding DME to your first batch you might end up with more problems. Chalk it up to being your first brew, laugh about it and learn from it. 3.2% isn't that bad, and not something I would risk ruining my beer to try and boost.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #17
brewkinger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 177 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 212

As far as the steeping grains portion of this post is concerned, I asked a steeping question recently, got some great answers that you might find helpful.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/spec...estion-357526/

PRIMARY: End of Summer Mish-Mash Ale
SECONDARY-NADA
SECONDARY-NOTHIN'
Conditioning and Drinking: Bass Ale Clone
Conditioning and Drinking:Regal Pale Ale
Conditioning and Drinking:Dirty Blonde Ale
Do not mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you will remember about me.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #18
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1064 Times on 794 Posts
Likes Given: 523

I wouldnt worry about overpitching. The worst that would do is cause a blowoff. Overpicthing is much better than under.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #19
AMonkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 336 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I am wondering about the 1 tbsp Corn sugar? That seems an odd amount to add to the boil. Are you sure it wasn't supposed to be 1 lb? I have seen recipes that call for less extract and add a pound of sugar. That would have raised the ABV some.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #20
papa87
Recipes 

I hear you AMonkey....the one catch to that is 3.2% is on paper and assuming i get the most from my grains, while my gut tells me im probably looking high 2% at best because I steeped the grains too short and hot to get as much of the fermentable sugar boost as I'd like to have in this situation (165 for 30mins). But yeah, After going back and forth, I've officially decided to ride this one out, as being my first brew. If its an "Ultra Light Wheat" then so be it haha. Sure I could toss in sugar, honey, extracts, fruit etc. and manipulate it in a variety of ways, but then I'll probably be wondering how things would've went untouched. To be honest it kind of has my curiosity now, even though a 2-3 ABV beer is quite foreign to me. Moral of the story is I've learned alot from this one and will be much better prepared for the next batch. A big thanks to everyone, look forward to cracking open my first bottle of homebrew in about 3 weeks, and you never know, maybe I've struck Ultra Light Beer Gold haha

Quick Reply