New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > ABV measurement question (post wort additions)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 03:48 AM   #1
neomantra
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default ABV measurement question (post wort additions)

Hi all,

I brewed a hybrid of a few recipes I found for an IPA and I'd like to figure out the actual ABV of the final product. The thing is the recipe called for doing the normal extract procedures on brew day, and then 2 days later, adding 1/2 lb of light brown sugar (boiling it first) directly to the fermenter.

My only gravity readings are from the OG (1.062) and the FG (1.014). Going from the text book here, with temp corrections, that says it's around 6.3% ABV. Problem is that has got to be off due to changing the gravity when I added the brown sugar, right? So is there some way to find out how much it altered things?

I found this site http://www.brewheads.com/refract-getabw.php which seemed promising. But I took a brix reading that said 6.8 and the FG of 1.014 which gave me 4%. That calculation seems kind of unrealistic though given the OG/FG readings.

If there's no way to figure it out after the fact, could someone at least tell me how to get an accurate calc in the future if I end up doing something like this? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2010, 04:37 AM   #2
barleynhops
Recipes 

A rule of thumb is to add 10 points to the OG for every pound of adjunct sugar. Since you've added a 1/2 pound of brown sugar, I'd say you raised your OG by 5 points, going from 1.062 to 1.067.

Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.
-Dave Barry-

Old 01-11-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
RCCOLA
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Here's a free homebrew calculator. Just enter all your ingredients and voila! All your questions answered.

http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe

Old 01-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

After the fact, you'll need a precision scale and a water bath to boil off the alcohol.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply