The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is absolutely necessary roasted barley for a Dry Irish Stout?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
darkmastiff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Is absolutely necessary roasted barley for a Dry Irish Stout?

Hi i want to do a Dry Irish Stout with extract and specialty grain i have the extract and all the specialty grains except roasted barley, my supplier saids that no have idea of when they have it, the most of the recipes uses roasted barley but, is absolutely necessary for a good irish Stout? Can i used another grain or simply i don´t used?

thanks in advanced for your help

and again sorry for my english

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 508 Times on 391 Posts
Likes Given: 75

I did a stout without roasted barley once (I didn't have any) I didn't replace it with anything, but it still turned out very nice. It was hard to nail anything that I didn't like about it. Hitting the right fermenting temperatures, good yeast and all the other fundamentals are usually much more important than most recipes adjustments, in my opinion.

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Old 06-16-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
MazdaMatt
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Stout - RB = Porter... nothing wrong with that, it just won't be a stout.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

if you can't get roasted barley, then I would replace it with some black malt (aka black patent malt) and/or some dark roasted chocolate malt.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:20 PM   #5
Wayne1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You could try roasting your own:

Home Roasted Grains

Old 06-16-2011, 06:29 PM   #6
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1275 Times on 938 Posts
Likes Given: 516

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
This was my understanding as well. I would think adding black malt or chocolate malt in place of roasted barley would also indicate porter. But it's you're brew. Call it what you want to call it

Up Next: English Summer Ale, Best Bitter, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5
Primary: Pale Mild
Secondary: Sour Stout, Wild (Infected) Bitter
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone, ESB, Ordinary Bitter, Dark Mild
Bottle "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Imperial Red, Tripel, Quadrupel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 06-16-2011, 06:48 PM   #7
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qhrumphf View Post
This was my understanding as well. I would think adding black malt or chocolate malt in place of roasted barley would also indicate porter. But it's you're brew. Call it what you want to call it
I don't think it is that black and white. Maybe I'm wrong, but my take on porters and stouts (and all their variations) is that they are essentially on a continuum of dark, roasty ales. The lines are blurry. However, most stouts probably do contain roasted barley. Since the OP cannot get roasted barley, the next best thing for him to do is to replace it with some other highly kilned malt, like black or chocolate. Will this be a stout? I guess it depends on how it tastes - if you don't know the recipe, what would you call it? It will be dark and roasty for sure, even if not a "classic" dry irish stout.

My Beer Cellar

Old 06-16-2011, 06:55 PM   #8
hudsonj6
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was curious about the difference between stouts and porters, since both can be very dark and have similar flavors. I did some searching around on here about a week ago and the consensus seemed to be that stouts have at least a half pound of roasted barley for a 5 gallon batch and porters either have less or no roasted barley.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:22 PM   #9
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1275 Times on 938 Posts
Likes Given: 516

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
I don't think it is that black and white. Maybe I'm wrong, but my take on porters and stouts (and all their variations) is that they are essentially on a continuum of dark, roasty ales. The lines are blurry. However, most stouts probably do contain roasted barley. Since the OP cannot get roasted barley, the next best thing for him to do is to replace it with some other highly kilned malt, like black or chocolate. Will this be a stout? I guess it depends on how it tastes - if you don't know the recipe, what would you call it? It will be dark and roasty for sure, even if not a "classic" dry irish stout.
Lines are definitely blurry. However, I'm coming from the view that while both are dark and roasty, the there are differences in the flavors and roasted barley imparts a specific roasty flavor that is a core element of a stout (at least a modern stout). Adding black or chocolate in addition to roasted barley is one thing, but eliminating the roasted barley entirely is something else. The OP is obviously free to use whichever ingredients he wants (or has available), and call it whatever he wants, and I'm sure it'll be great beer either way. But I also don't know what final flavor he's expecting. If I were to brew a stout, and swap out the roasted barley for black or chocolate, I'd be expecting something more along the lines of a porter. That said, substituting is probably the next best thing (in which case I'd go with black malt), unless, as another poster suggested, roasting his own is a possibility.

Up Next: English Summer Ale, Best Bitter, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5
Primary: Pale Mild
Secondary: Sour Stout, Wild (Infected) Bitter
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone, ESB, Ordinary Bitter, Dark Mild
Bottle "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Imperial Red, Tripel, Quadrupel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 06-16-2011, 08:27 PM   #10
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
That's not true.

A typical Dry Irish Stout is 70/20/10 2-row, flaked barley, and roasted barley. You take away that 10% roasted barley and it's just 2-row and flaked barley. That isn't a porter at all.

Quick Reply