Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Absolute rookie here...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2012, 12:26 AM   #1
JMBrown22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Absolute rookie here...

Hey guys, I am going to start brewing my own beer. I am looking for advice on a good starting kit to brew 8-12ish bottles of beer for starters. Are there different kits for different types? Preferably, I like wheat ales and in the future, I want to start adding different fruit flavors to them. Do you guys have any recommendations for a rookie like myself? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
Colorowdy
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 129

I started with Mr. Beer. It brews around 20 or so cheap and simple way to get started. Although it didn't take long for me to upgrade.
My advice with the Mr. Beer kit is skip the booster and add a pound of dme. PM me if you have any questions.

Everyone dies. Few truly live.

jimmy7 Likes This 
Old 09-18-2012, 12:54 AM   #3
JMBrown22
Recipes 

Which Mr. Beer option would you recommend for purchase? Should I get the one that comes with the plastic bottles, or should I buy the cheaper one and get glass bottles?

Old 09-18-2012, 01:10 AM   #4
xmacro
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Northern Brewer and Midwest both sell starter kits, with supplies you can reuse in subsequent batches; Mr. Beer is kind of a one-shot deal

8-12 bottles, you're probably looking at about a 1 gallon starter kit

Old 09-18-2012, 01:17 AM   #5
Sublimis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBrown22 View Post
Which Mr. Beer option would you recommend for purchase? Should I get the one that comes with the plastic bottles, or should I buy the cheaper one and get glass bottles?
Personally I would not use the PET bottles. A case of bottles, caper, and caps will run about $30. But Personally I would just skip the Mr Beer. They are almost the same price look at this http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewi...pment-kit.html This is all the kits http://www.midwestsupplies.com/homeb...-all-kits.html you can always buy a smaller carboy for secondary fermentation if your making a smaller batch. My buddy got the Mr. Beer now he wishes he got the 5Gal kit.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:29 AM   #6
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Just go with Northern Brewer and jump into the five gallon extract batches. Read up on the process, it's easy enough.

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 09-18-2012, 01:41 AM   #7
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by inhousebrew View Post
Just go with Northern Brewer and jump into the five gallon extract batches. Read up on the process, it's easy enough.
This, you'll be more happy probably. I can only imagine how much it would suck to have to brew and age a beer for 1-2 months for only a few bottles.

View Current Brew via my BrewPi setup!

Old 09-18-2012, 01:48 AM   #8
woody34
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts

Was it this forum where somebody was giving away a free starter kit? It was just yesterday too. Search a little on this forum you may get lucky..I'm loving my northern brewer kit. I do 5 gallon extract kits. Couldn't be happier.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:55 AM   #9
woody34
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody34
Was it this forum where somebody was giving away a free starter kit? It was just yesterday too. Search a little on this forum you may get lucky..I'm loving my northern brewer kit. I do 5 gallon extract kits. Couldn't be happier.
Searched and couldn't find it.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:06 AM   #10
JMBrown22
Recipes 

The only thing I see that I like about the Mr. Beer is the fact that they have fruity beer recipes. I really want to get into brewing because I enjoy Blueberry, Raspberry, Citrus, etc. flavored wheat ales. I do not see these options with Northern Brewer. Do you guys have any recommendations for recipes that I could make fruit beers, or when to add fruit extracts w/ the Northern Brewer 5gal?

Quick Reply