The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Absolute newbie-What type of beer to start with??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2006, 03:45 AM   #1
Tennessee Bill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Absolute newbie-What type of beer to start with??

HI, I am an Absolute newbie to homebrewing, and I don't know a lot about beer, other than my favorite is Killian's Red ( I know not very classy for a homebrew site!!) -What type of beer to start with?? Is there a recipe that approximates Killian's?? Also, what types of commercial beers should I experiment with before trying to homebrew?? Thanks, Bill.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2006, 03:54 AM   #2
George
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I always think that a stout is a great first brew. Roasty flavors mask some first timer mistakes and the dark color hides cloudiness (no clearity concerns). I love reds too, but those attempts might be saved for your 3rd or 4th batch.

On tap: Small-Dry Hopped w/cascade
Small -no dry hops
Red
Rye
Secondary:More red and rye
Primary: Brown (11 years at this and this is my 1st)

Old 04-16-2006, 04:04 AM   #3
Igorstien

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

An India Pale Ale was my first brew and I was quite pleased with the result.

IGOR

Fermenting: MT
Secondary #1: MT Secondary #2: MT
Conditioning: Nothing Drinking: Store bought
On Deck: Festa Brew Red Ale....As soon as I get my bucket back from storage.

All bottles are Guinness bottles, Plus Five Kegs!!!

Old 04-16-2006, 04:16 AM   #4
Levers101
Recipes 

I'm new too and from the advice everyone has given me it seems that highly hopped beers and stouts are the best to start out with.

However I don't see how if you're careful you can't have a great beer your first batch. I started out with apple cider for equipment reasons, and I tasted it when I racked it to secondary fermentation and besides the suspended yeast flavor it had going it wasn't bad at all.

If you're used to drinking standard domestics you might start by picking up a six pack of a Pale Ale like Sierra Nevada or Boulevard or Goose Island. Or you could try a stout from the same breweries also. (I say those three because they are the most affordable micros in my area so they are the brews I drink the most.) Although they bottle in twist off capped bottles (for sure on Sierra Nevada and Goose Island not sure about Boulevard as I haven't had their beer lately). Sam Adams bottles in reusable bottles, so they should be on your list to. (See the post in these forums where I asked about recappable bottles.)

Bottled/Drinking #12: 6 Hop Variety American Pale Ale
Bottled/Drinking #13: Dry stout kit
Bottled/Drinking #14: Bavarian Wheat
Bottled/Drinking #15: Iron Red Ale

On Deck
:

Bull Sprig Brewery

Old 04-20-2006, 03:52 AM   #5
hoffmeister
Recipes 

I have to agree with George, reds might be best left for a few batches down the road as the color/flavor profile is a little tricky to get down. A good stout might be the way to go, or since it's getting warmer you might want to go lighter with a pale ale or something like that. Both have fairly forgiving recipes, are relatively easy to brew, and yield great results. Good luck!

Old 04-20-2006, 11:43 AM   #6
autoferret
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have to second the IPA's and stouts are very good first brews. But i think that something like a wheat beer would be better at this time of year. I did a IPA and a brown ale for my first 2 brews!

Primary: Local Honey Mead;
Secondary: Merlot;
Keg: "Experimental" American Ale; Kinda Nutty Brown Ale;
Bottled: "Oatie the Oatmeal Stout"; NB Saison; "666" by request; NB 115th Dream hopbursted;EdWort's Apfelwein
Up Coming: Imperial Oatmeal Stout; House IPA

Old 04-20-2006, 12:50 PM   #7
Mudd
Recipes 

I go with the group that says "Brew what you like to drink" for your first brew.

But, if you enjoy a summer beer - wheat, cream ale, or a lighter ale; thay are also a good first brew.

Old 04-22-2006, 05:28 AM   #8
flingdingo
Recipes 

Brew whatever you want, it will taste fine. Darker, or hoppier beers do a better job of masking off flavors than lighter beers, so if you screw something up, it's less noticable.

You will be so worried that you did mess up, (look at all the "Did I screw up my first batch" posts in this forum) that your first batch will taste GREAT when you finally get to drink it.

Personally, I would go with a light, low ABV beer. It will mature sooner than a Stout or an IPA, so you can enjoy it sooner. And it will encourage you to brew more.

...and more

...and more

...and more

Beer. It's what's for dinner.

Old 04-23-2006, 09:08 PM   #9
Uncle Argyle
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

I am on my second brew...my first was a Killian's clone. I bought it at a local home brew store and was very pleased with the results...and I made several mistakes in the process!!

The store is located in central Mass and has a website...they have the recipe online if you are interested.

Goto www.beerbrew.com, select the west boylston store. Click recipies on the left side...and then Killian's Clone.

My second brew is a stout...guess I am going out of order!!

P.S. This is my first post...what a great site! Thanks everyone for the tips!!

Old 04-24-2006, 01:02 AM   #10
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Outside of not doing an Ale, I think you should start with what you love. If Killan's Red is it, then start with that. With extract kits you can get pretty close to pretty much anything and whatever happens it will taste much better then the store bought stuff. I dont know... when I started I did not particularly ask myself which would be the easiest to do. Do you have a book you are reading?

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Quick Reply