Last days to enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > About to throw in the towel.....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2014, 05:08 AM   #21
kurds_2408
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

As someone who hasn't been brewing long and has no knowledge I can't give any advice on the beer. But, wanna say don't get discouraged. I made a honey wheat that was way over carbed and had so much bite it burned, then I made an Irish Red that came out black and not to great, then came the Belgium Wit that smelled like rotten fruit, and lastly a milk stout that was thin and only 5% ABV. Made a lot of mediocre beers but then my last beer, Good JuJu clone turned out amazing. Couldn't have been more happy with it. It is so delicious and I feel like I nailed it. Just to some practice and learning from mistakes.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:00 AM   #22
Hello
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 19 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2019 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 3474

Default About to throw in the towel.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
I'd call it on this one flavor-wise. Start another batch & let it finish & settle out clear before dry hopping. Then carbonate in the keg with less pressure so it takes a more normal amount of time.

I disagree kind of. He can dry hop in the keg right now if he wants. That is if you're right about the co2 blasting the hop profile due to carbonic bite.

Regardless, lacking hop profile doesn't really make a beer nasty.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2014, 08:48 AM   #23
astronomical
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc03 View Post
The temp is somewhere around 67 degrees.

And by temp I'm gonna guess you mean ambient temp. Your actual fermentation temp could easily be in the 70s.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:09 PM   #24
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2415 Times on 2103 Posts
Likes Given: 1778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello View Post
I disagree kind of. He can dry hop in the keg right now if he wants. That is if you're right about the co2 blasting the hop profile due to carbonic bite.

Regardless, lacking hop profile doesn't really make a beer nasty.
Yeah, he can dry hop in the keg for aroma. But it doesn't do much for flavor. It's the fact that our senses of smell & taste are linked that folks think they're getting more flavor.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:16 PM   #25
Hello
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Yeah, he can dry hop in the keg for aroma. But it doesn't do much for flavor. It's the fact that our senses of smell & taste are linked that folks think they're getting more flavor.
True but his complaint was "the smell was more malty and stale..." ergo, dry hopping would enhance the smell. I'd dry hop the crap out of it and tell anyone else to do the same before I tell them to "call it". It is certainly worth an ounce of hops and a few days just to see. There is also the unknown, is it really the carbonation? No one can really be 100%.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PrinceOfThePoint Likes This 
Old 08-26-2014, 01:19 PM   #26
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Yeah, that can help of course. But getting more malty flavor than hop flavor is the kicker. The most I could think of was the co2 bursting. Although I have had IPA's loose their hop flavor in the bottles over about a month in. Even with the new bench capper. Difficult to explain that?...

Old 08-26-2014, 01:31 PM   #27
Hello
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Yeah, that can help of course. But getting more malty flavor than hop flavor is the kicker. The most I could think of was the co2 bursting. Although I have had IPA's loose their hop flavor in the bottles over about a month in. Even with the new bench capper. Difficult to explain that?...
Yeah totally weird. I drank my first and only IPA fast. My hoppy pale ale lasted slightly longer but didn't fade like that. Hops are weird.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 08-26-2014, 03:01 PM   #28
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Yeah, they can be at that. I was just wondering if the chemical additive that makes hops more pronounced would cause this if lacking? I'm not real big on water chemistry yet?...

Old 08-26-2014, 03:05 PM   #29
PrinceOfThePoint
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 106

I've never brewed that recipe but if I remember correctly the amount of Centennial isn't overwhelming. Like some people have said, dry hop that keg! I think the "flavor/aroma" differentiation talk is silly. Sure our taste receptors may not respond to dry hop compounds the way they do to isoalpha acids or something else but the perception of flavor is there big time, and that's all that matters.

On Tap: Amarillo Pale Ale
On Tap: Galaxy IPA
On Tap: Strawberry Centennial Blonde

Old 08-26-2014, 03:49 PM   #30
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 730 Times on 529 Posts
Likes Given: 438

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronomical View Post
And by temp I'm gonna guess you mean ambient temp. Your actual fermentation temp could easily be in the 70s.
Agreed. OP - I'd take a hard look at your fermentation temperatures. Leaving it up to ambient is a great way to end up with off-flavors and less than stellar beer. If you even just do a very basic swamp cooler set up during the first week of fermentation you'll see a significant improvement in quality and consistency. It's a shame to waste a $50 + kit and your time when basic temperature control is really simple and affordable.

Quick Reply