Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > About to throw in the towel.....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2014, 07:39 PM   #1
jc03
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default About to throw in the towel.....

Hello, I just finished up a batch of Dead Ringer IPA and am feeling down about my brewing. It's drinkable but not good. I've brewed 4 total batches and 2 have been really good and 2 barely drinkable. I've paid close attention to sanitizing everything and have followed the kits directions (except didn't rack my first IPA to the secondary). Is this normal or am I just wasting my time?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2014, 07:41 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4958 Times on 3589 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc03 View Post
Hello, I just finished up a batch of Dead Ringer IPA and am feeling down about my brewing. It's drinkable but not good. I've brewed 4 total batches and 2 have been really good and 2 barely drinkable. I've paid close attention to sanitizing everything and have followed the kits directions (except didn't rack my first IPA to the secondary). Is this normal or am I just wasting my time?
If you're using good quality kits, fermenting at the proper temperature (mid 60s generally), and following the instructions, the beer should be very good.

Are you using tap water that may not be right for making great beer?

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 08-25-2014, 07:41 PM   #3
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 322 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Its normal if you don't have proper temp control or you are properly pitching enough yeast for fermentation (if I had to guess your problem based on almost no info). Post your recipe and your process and you will get a lot of help on how to improve.

good luck

Old 08-25-2014, 07:43 PM   #4
Hello
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1766 Times on 1252 Posts
Likes Given: 2961

It is not normal. In addition to Yooper's questions, I have to ask which two didn't work (recipes) and are you controlling your fermentation temps? How long do you give your beers before you bottle/keg?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 08-25-2014, 07:45 PM   #5
bberg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Document your process and fermentation and post it here. Details!

Like Yooper asked, what is your water source? What kind of temp control do you have over your brew day equip and fermenting?

Old 08-25-2014, 07:50 PM   #6
CBelli
Beer Lover
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 35

+1 on ferm temp......

if you brewed the same extract kit multiple times, the same way, and had large taste swings, I put money on poor temp control!
Temp control is the single most important thing in brewing consistent extract beers.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:51 PM   #7
podz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 318 Times on 235 Posts
Likes Given: 331

Maybe you just don't like the styles you made. A few weeks back somebody posted that they made a pils and it tasted bad. After the description of the taste, the poster went to the store and bought some pils and came to the conclusion that the beer he made tasted pretty much like the store bought pils. Turns out that he just doesn't really like pils.

Elämämme tarkoitus lienee murheen karkoitus.

People Like This 
Old 08-25-2014, 07:52 PM   #8
eric19312
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Jc a bit of patience may be in order. You mentioned pitching the yeast on this beer on another thread on July 27, not even a month ago. Try a batch 3-4 weeks in primary (dry hop in primary with 1 week to go) followed by 3 weeks in the bottles and see how that comes out. You can always try going faster once slower is working out ok.

Also some specifics on the flavor issues might help more experienced brewers pinpoint opportunities for improvement.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:37 PM   #9
j1n
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 381 Times on 231 Posts
Likes Given: 167

The dead ringer all grain kit from NB was my first batch of beer. What they dont tell you is that with the amount of yeast they give you, you are under pitching. Also they don't tell you about fermentation temps.

You need to calculate how much yeast you need for the gravity and volume of wort. Also know the yeast your using and what temp its optimal at.

Bottled - Pumpkin Ale, Hard Cider
On Tap - Bells 2 <3 Clone, Kolsch
Kicked - Irish Red, Dead Guy Clone

Old 08-25-2014, 08:46 PM   #10
jc03
Recipes 

Thanks everyone. I'll try and answer some of the questions. The 2 kits that were very good were Northern Brewers Dry Dock Pale Ale and the Irish Red that came with my starter kit. I am an IPA fan and tried a Racer 5 clone from Adventures In Homebrewing that didn't work out. The Dead Ringer IPA is the one I just finished that has more of a "malty" taste as my wife says. The Racer clone had a similar taste and very little hopiness. The carboys have been on my basement floor. The temp is somewhere around 67 degrees.

Here's what I did on this one. Primary fermenter July 27th (airlock bubbled almost immidiately and for 3 days)-Aug 12. Racked to secondary Aug 12 and dryhopped for last 7 days. Racked to keg Aug 21 and forcecarbed at 35psi for 48 hours, went to 0 psi then up to 12 psi. Tried on Aug 24.

When I racked it into the keg the first smell when I opened the carboy was very good and hoppy but as I got lower the smell was more malty and stale. Maybe like when you get the first beer of the day at a bar that hasn't cleaned their lines. Any help would be appreciated.

Quick Reply