The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > ? about my transfer to secondary 1st ever

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
WayneTree
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default ? about my transfer to secondary 1st ever

I did my transfer to secondary and the siphoning was going well when I lost my siphhon with about a 1/2 gallon left in primary with spent yeast on bottom.I now have 4 1/2 gallon of Porter in secondary @1.020 SG , sampled some of the beer in the SG tube and it tasted really good.I tried some of the yeast and it had the twang to it.I will be ready to bottle in a week or so. Does everything seem OK so far??? Why couldI not get full siphon?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 26 Posts

I always stick something under one end of my fermentor to sort of prop it up. That way all the trub sort of settles on one side, and you can get a bit more beer that way.

Without looking at your recipe, we won't know exactly what your specific gravity should be right now, but seems to be pretty close. BJCP style guidelines say that a Brown Porter should be between 1.008 and 1.014, but that's not necessarily what you're going to end up with, depending on your recipe.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

To some people this will seem obvious but it could have caused your problem: make sure you have an adequate height difference between the carboys. If your siphon suddenly stopped for no apparent reason it could be because the liquid levels reached the same height.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 02-18-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 26 Posts

Good point. I certainly made that mistake once. Felt like an idiot when I realized what I had done.

Quick Reply