Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > About to bottle.. maybe I should wait?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
MaxPower49
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default About to bottle.. maybe I should wait?

I need some quick advice. I was going to start bottling my second batch this afternoon (Irish Light Ale). It was in the primary for a little over 3 weeks and has been in the secondary (dryhopped) for 1 week now.

I moved the carboy to the kitchen last night so everything would settle down before I racked to the bottling bucket. Of course the movement got it bubbling again... but now it has been 18+ hours since I moved it and it is still bubbling every 20 seconds. I didn't really expect that. Is it safe to bottle now, or do I need to wait?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2009, 05:04 PM   #2
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If it were me, I would wait. Has your gravity dropped at all since you moved it? I'd rather wait it out than have bottle bombs. But, I'm still a noob.

http://www.bluelinebrewer.com

Like my page on Facebook!

Old 03-01-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

If it's bubbling from just sitting there, imagine what's going to happen when you toss in some easily digestible sugar for the yeasties to munch on. I see bottle bombs in your future.

I'd wait a week. I'm assuming you don't have a hydrometer handy. If you do, then go use it! If not, waiting a week would be safest.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
joe6pack
Recipes 

Pull your dry hops out and let it wait. Check your gravity when you pull your dry hops and then again in a few days.

I give up trying to keep this signature current.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #5
Mencken
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I have a similar question here...I was going to bottle on Tuesday, but my beer is still bubbling. Gravity seems stable, and it only bubbles every 15-30 min or so, but still, I'm worried about the bottle bombs, as you said. I'm kind of at a cusp though, as on Friday I head out of town for 10 days. If I leave it in the fermenter, it'll have been in there for 5 weeks before it gets bottled. However, bottle bombs are bad, since I'll be out of town. I can put towels around it, but that wouldn't be good at all, haha

Should I just rely on the gravity readings? Is the bubbling anything to worry about, since it's so spaced out? Thanks

Old 03-01-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4483 Times on 3261 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Sometimes moving the fermenter causes co2 to be "knocked out" of solution. Especially if there is a temperature change, you may see plenty of airlock bubbling. It doesn't mean a thing, though- bubbling (or not bubbling) isn't a sign of fermentation. Check the SG. If it's unchanging over at least three days, and it's at the expected FG, bottle it.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:01 PM   #7
MaxPower49
Recipes 

My gravity is currently 1.012. Recipe estimates terminal gravity to be between 1.010 and 1.014, so it looks like I'm pretty much there. I wouldn't expect it to be bubbling this much now, but I an still a n00b after all. How often should it be bubbling when I go to bottle? Once per minute?

joe, I just chucked the whole hops in the secondary so I can't pull them out.

I have heard that you can get a grassy flavor if you dry hop too long... that is why I intended to bottle 1 week after adding the dry hop. How much longer can I wait to bottle and not get a grassy flavor?

Old 03-01-2009, 06:20 PM   #8
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 17

If you moved it from a cooler area to a warmer area then that would certainly cause some CO2 to come out of solution and make your airlock bubble. If you're been at 1.012 for a while then I'd think you're done and perfectly safe to bottle.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 03-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #9
double_e5
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would bottle that sucker.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:24 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4483 Times on 3261 Posts
Likes Given: 870

I don't know how often it will bubble. It might never bubble, it might bubble 10 times a minute. It means nothing, so I have never paid a second to notice. Counting bubbles per minute is a huge waste of time- since it might bubble if the barometric pressure rises. But it might not. It might bubble if the temperature rises two degrees, or if you move the fermenter. But it might not.

I've dryhopped up to 10 days without any "grassy" issues, but not for longer than that. If it's not enough dryhops for this batch, you could always rack onto fresh dryhops and give it another week.

Quick Reply