Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > ? About adding extract late

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2010, 08:30 PM   #11
mhochman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Alright, I'm presently steeping the specialty grains. I will split the can in two like Revvy suggested. Looking good. Smells great.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2010, 11:06 PM   #12
mhochman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Done. Ended up with a SG of 1.062, waaaaaay over the expected range of 49-51.

I calibrated my hydrometer, so I know it's accurate. Trouble?

Old 01-09-2010, 11:08 PM   #13
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikomhoch View Post
Done. Ended up with a SG of 1.062, waaaaaay over the expected range of 49-51.

I calibrated my hydrometer, so I know it's accurate. Trouble?
Not trouble, Typical...

It's a pretty common issue for ANYONE using extract and then topping off with water (and that includes partial mashes) to have an error in reading the OG...In fact, it is actually nearly impossible to mix the wort and the top off water in a way to get an accurate OG reading...

Brewers get a low reading if they get more of the top off water than the wort, conversely they get a higher number if they grabbed more of the extract than the top off water in their sample.

When I am doing an extract with grain recipe I make sure to stir for a minimum of 5 minutes (whipping up a froth to aerate as well) before I draw a grav sample and pitch my yeast....It really is an effort to integrate the wort with the top off water...This is a fairly common new brewer issue we get on here...unless you under or over topped off or the final volume for the kit was 5 gallons and you topped off to 5.5, then the issue, sorry to say, is "operator error"

it doesn't matter what your reading was.....the "real reading" in an extract batch is what it said it would be in the recipe or beersmith....Whether or not you mixed it up enough before you took the reading it mixed itself up fine during fermentation.

So unless you had a final volume a gallon or so higher than 5 gallons....you recipe will be fine and at the OG it was supposed to be,

I bet your OG is EXACTLY what it is supposed to be.

And during fermentation the wort and water will mix up just fine on it's own.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-09-2010, 11:22 PM   #14
mhochman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Not trouble, Typical...
Brewers get a low reading if they get more of the top off water than the wort, conversely they get a higher number if they grabbed more of the extract than the top off water in their sample.
That explains it. I used my new wine thief and that definitely pulled just from the bottom. Now I know to mix better. It was nice and frothed at the top, so I think I did a good job aerating.

The Notty is in and I'm ready for the fun to begin!

Old 01-09-2010, 11:23 PM   #15
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
That explains it. I used my new wine thief and that definitely pulled just from the bottom. Now I know to mix better. It was nice and frothed at the top, so I think I did a good job aerating.

Yeha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the kind words, btw!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #16
mhochman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
12 hours later and the airlock is going to town. I'm wondering if I should have purchased tubing for a blow off....guess I'll find out the hard way.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #17
Bassman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Beer is on the way!

Old 01-15-2010, 10:28 PM   #18
mhochman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Update if you care: Almost a full week later I took a gravity reading and it's 1.016. I'm thrilled, as my first batch was stuck at 1020 and finished at 1017. I accidentally drank the entire sample after and it was delicious. It tasted a little alcoholic, if that makes sense. It was my first time using star san (all over the thief before stealing) but I know that's tasteless, so that couldn't be it. I'm chalking it up to not being carbed yet.

I bought a 5 gallon Better Bottle today and I'm thinking of racking this batch to it for conditioning. I know it's not necessary, but I think I'd like to do it while I'm still learning and try it out. I realize a Brown Ale won't really benefit from the clarifying benefits of a secondary, but I would like the experience of it.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:19 AM   #19
JiveTurkey
Recipes 

Location: Corvallis (Heart of the [Willamette] Valley), Oregon
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

[In before Revvy ] Let it sit for at least two more weeks before racking to secondary.

Aging for 1 Year: #1 LHBS Standard (Dry) Stout
In bottles: #2 Honing Wit (Belgian Wit Bier w/honey); #3 Be Hoppy, Not Bitter ("Oregon" Pale Ale: APA using Oregon-inspired ingredients and lots of late-addition/dry-hops); #4 American Red-Head (Irish Red made from American ingredients); #5 Student Power Orange Ale (Orange-hued amber ale for a wedding)
Primary: [n/a]
On deck: [Thinking about it]

Quick Reply