The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > ? About adding extract late

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
mhochman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default ? About adding extract late

I'm getting set to brew my second ever batch, a True Brew Nut Brown ale kit. I would really like to try late extract addition for the liquid extract, which I've been reading about (I'd really like to do full boil, but I don't have a wort chiller). My concern is that this kit came with muntons hopped light mle. No hops are added except for fuggles as a finishing hop. If I add the liquid at the end, will that be enough time to properly bitter? Should I compromise by adding the lme at the start of boil and dme at the end? Or should I just follow the true brew directions and experiment next time? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2010, 02:54 PM   #2
Bassman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would think that the hop oils have already been isomerized when they made the extract so your boil time does not matter in terms of extraction. If you were adding whole, plug or pellet hops then you would need to be concerned about how long they were boiling.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
mhochman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
I would think that the hop oils have already been isomerized when they made the extract so your boil time does not matter in terms of extraction. If you were adding whole, plug or pellet hops then you would need to be concerned about how long they were boiling.
Thats what I was hoping. The fuggles pellet hops are instructed to go in with two minutes left in the boil.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:17 PM   #4
hamiltont
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Usually late (last 15 minutes) extract additions are associated with less than a full boil to help with the extraction of bittering hops. Not the case with this kit, right. The only other reason I can think of is the late extract addition will produce a little bit lighter SRM due to less caramelization from the boil, but I doubt that will make any significant difference.

If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Old 01-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #5
Bassman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had also understood the 2 reasons for late extract addition was increased hop extraction and less caramelization. I also agree that in the case of a nut brown I see no real reason why.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:25 PM   #6
mhochman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

[smacks head] uh, never mind.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:44 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikomhoch View Post
[smacks head] uh, never mind.
Why are you giving up on the idea of Late extract addition? You're really getting some crappy information and it's dissuading you?

Late extract additions are NOT about hop extraction, it's ABOUT NOT CARMELLING THE WORT. That's it...Making the best beer possible.

The hop extraction would be taken care of with whatever extract was added initilaly, in a non hopped kit.

But you're doing a pre hopped kit, so it doesn't matter. At all...it's irrelevant to the issue at hand.

In your case, the bitterness is already taken care of in a prehopped kit, and you have aroma hops for the end, which is a good thing.

If it's a two can kit, then I would boil one can in your water and add the other one late. If it's a one can then split it in half.

Do it anyway, it will do no harm and if anything it will be good practice for other batches.

Here's a great article from Oz.Craftbrewer.com, on how to make the best beer with cooper's kits...It's from Australia, the home of coopers, and from the craftbrewer radio guys.

Improving Your Kit

It's from the Craftbrewer Radio site...the article is a companion to.
Quote:

April#2,2007

The guys get “Down and Dirty” for the Kit and Kilo brewer with the simplist yet method of making a kit beer that tastes great. They also taste the underpitched beer experiment, and follow up on a brewers problem with under-atttenuation. Our beer superhero tries to save the love of his life - and Wonder-Mole, while we look into a beer belly experiment. More on how to say beer words, drink driving, beer laws and a quiz question will fill out the program, with a typical Aussie beer tale sung at the end.

Click to listen;
http://radio.craftbrewer.org/shows/April2-07.mp3
Have fun trying it, and relax.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-09-2010, 05:51 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
I would think that the hop oils have already been isomerized when they made the extract so your boil time does not matter in terms of extraction.
Good to see somebody gets it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-09-2010, 05:56 PM   #9
bonsai4tim
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Late extract additions are NOT about hop extraction, it's ABOUT NOT CARMELLING THE WORT. That's it...Making the best beer possible.

The hop extraction would be taken care of with whatever extract was added initilaly, in a non hopped kit..
I know the OP has a pre-hopped extract, But--I thought I read that higher Specific Gravity decreased the hops utilization

Doing a partial (water) boil with 1/2 the extract for most of the boil (with late extract addition) should increase hops utilization, correct?

t

Old 01-09-2010, 05:58 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsai4tim View Post
I know the OP has a pre-hopped extract, But--I thought I read that higher Specific Gravity decreased the hops utilization

Doing a partial (water) boil with 1/2 the extract for most of the boil (with late extract addition) should increase hops utilization, correct?

t
Yeah, you read it somewhere .....but you missed the big point that we're not DEALING WITH HOP UTILIZATION ISSUES IN A PRE-HOPPED KIT. The hops have already been UTILIZED.

That has been taken care of when they boil the kit, hence the term "Pre-hooped"...the only hops being added in this case is aroma...and that's NOT gonna matter.

You're actually confusing what is a very simple brewing issue by over complicating it...and scaring off from doing something.

And in the case of the non-pre-hopped beers where you add bittering hops, honestly the amount of "tweaking" to compensate for that in a LEA is really too insignificant to sweat even, when you are starting out....If you want to be anal, you can, but like so much in brewing, there's many ways to do something, and many theories, and plenty of folks make great beer by ignoring the theories and just doing it.

You wanna hear something interesting? That will really put the idea of small changes in Ibu's and Ibus in general into perspective?

John Palmer basically admits that what he wrote about IBU's in How to brew, was essentially "wrong" or at least outdated in light of new science...

Quote:
Basic Brewing Thursday, March 20, 2008 4:30 PM
John Palmer, author of How to Brew, shares information from a conference that challenged his concept of what defines an International Bitterness Unit (IBU). Click to listen, MP-3
It will really screw up you head even...or it will make you not sweat the small stuff, like tweaking a tiny bit of hops. We couldn't perceive that small change anyway,

Sorry to be mean about but I really hate to see someone being dissuaded from doing something that actually GOOD for his beer, and learning his process, by some info that is really just being taken out of context to the issue at hand.

Quick Reply