Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > This is it!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2011, 03:26 AM   #21
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Also keep in mind, if you brewed with extract and did only a partial boil (topping off in the fermenter) it's very common to not mix the wort and top off water well enough and get some pretty erroneous readings. It's a safe bet you were within a couple points of wherever your kit listed the OG would be - it's very hard to miss OG with extract.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011, 01:34 PM   #22
GRHunter
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Just relax and enjoy the process. Your first few brew days will seem kind of hectic and you'll have several moments where you think you've ruined your beer. As you get your process down it will get easier and your brewing days will get shorter. I will leave you with two pieces of advice. First, never attempt more than one new technique per brew day. My biggest source of frustration in the beginning was that I always attempted every new technique that I had read in this forum throughout the week on my Saturday brew day. Second, if you don't at least occasionally have an epic fail at some point in your brew days then you are obviously not drinking enough beer when you brew.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:49 AM   #23
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 328 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 532

Well, just transferred the Australian ale to secondary. Gave it a taste and my buddy and I were surprised at how good it was. There's a tiny bit of carbonation in there, and it's a good smooth beer. Not bad for some warm crap that's just sitting in my basement.
Now just finished boiling up a new batch of IPA. Stirred it up reallly good this time and i have a much better OG of 1.038. Just pitched the yeast, and I've officially got a pipeline going! I'll bottle the first batch next week, then keep the pipe going. Next step is to move from wort kits and make something a little more advanced. I'd like to try a wheat beer followed by a stout for the Christmas season.

Beer is awesome. Wish I found this hobby earlier. Combines three of my favorite things - cooking, beer, and hanging out in my basement. Cheers!

Old 08-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #24
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well the balls-out process has begun. Picked up a full 8 gallon kettle, and ingredients for two more batches. Going to do a smoked porter and american wheat.

First batch is clearing up nicely in the carboy. Second IPA is doing who-knows-what inside the fermenter, I'm not peeking this time. Going to bottle this up on Sunday and then... more waiting. Geez I just want to have a beer.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #25
BluBruShack
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Looks great! Way to start cranking out the brew. You'll have your beer soon enough. After that you will have more beer than your poor liver can handle

Old 08-26-2011, 01:03 PM   #26
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

So last night it dawned on me that the 2kg of different sugars that the LHBS sold me (corn sugar and a coopers enhancer) may have not been for priming after all, rather to add to the wort during the boil. Now I'm going to have some weak-ass beer. At least I added some turbinado sugar to the second batch to boost up the ABV% a little bit, but I've got questions:

This first batch looks like it's only going to have a 3.3% ABV. Perhaps the wort wasn't mixed well when I took the OG reading, but I think I mixed it up pretty good as I was trying to aerate it. It's been sitting in secondary for a week now, and I was planning on bottling it on Sunday.
Can I use the Cooper's brew enhancer as priming sugar? As far as I can tell this stuff is just an overpriced blend of sugars anyway. 5oz of the stuff should do it, right?
Will it be worth it to age this batch for a while longer to get more flavour out of it? I took a grav. reading last night to make sure it's good for the bottles and drank the sample. It already tastes okay, but more like mass-produced coors light than beer. I guess I'll have to go by my original goal of just ending up with something drinkable rather than super-high quality... If there's anything I can do at this point to give it a bit of a boost in the flavour department, I'm all ears.

Oh and just FYI, I'm very relaxed about this already so I am in no way freaking out. But I could go for a craft brew right now anyway - is 9:04 too early?

Old 08-26-2011, 01:05 PM   #27
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluBruShack View Post
Looks great! Way to start cranking out the brew. You'll have your beer soon enough. After that you will have more beer than your poor liver can handle
Hah thanks - friends are already wise to my plans. Apparently I'm going to have a NHL kick-off (puck-drop?) party in early October, and I'll be supplying the beer.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:40 PM   #28
GreenDragon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Welcome to the addiction... err.. hobby!

I did the Coopers wheat for one of my first brews, came out pretty good.

Not gonna mention who my favorite "local" hockey team is, you'll just laugh.

-------------------------------------------------
Keg 1 : Bee Cave's House Pale Ale
Keg 2 :
Fermenting: Irish Wee Heavy
On Deck: La Blue Girl Blueberry Wheat

Old 08-26-2011, 01:44 PM   #29
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDragon View Post
Welcome to the addiction... err.. hobby!

I did the Coopers wheat for one of my first brews, came out pretty good.

Not gonna mention who my favorite "local" hockey team is, you'll just laugh.
The Kansas City Coyotes???

I'm a Leaf fan - I have no right to laugh at anyone.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #30
GreenDragon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Nah I bleed blue, St. Louis Blues! This is the year we make the playoffs! (Of course I've said that like the past 10 years and no luck yet... but this season really is the season!!)

Edit: If the Coyotes actually make it to KC I'll prolly adopt them.

-------------------------------------------------
Keg 1 : Bee Cave's House Pale Ale
Keg 2 :
Fermenting: Irish Wee Heavy
On Deck: La Blue Girl Blueberry Wheat

Quick Reply