Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > This is it!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2011, 07:55 PM   #11
xxsn0blindxx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Welcome and good luck on your first brew.

I'm by no means a master like some on this board. I've been brewing since the beginning of 2010 and have several brews under my belt. I still consider my self to be a beginner, so here's some beginner tips I can think of.

1 - This is a matter of preference, but I think most agree, skip the secondary and just do a long (3-4 week) primary. You can search the forum for dozens of threads about why you should or shouldn't do it. When I started I did secondaries because that is what you're "supposed" to do, but after the first 3 or 4 I started doing long primaries and never looked back. I use Irish Moss and use a muslin bag over the input of my racking cane to keep most of the trub junk from getting into the fermentor and end up with very good clarity in my brews. Adding gelatin at week 3 seems to help a lot too. Plus if you only primary, you can start your second brew right away without having to wait two weeks to transfer the first one to secondary.

2 - Aerate your wort befor pitching the yeast. Shake the fermentor vigorously for 5 minutes. I used to to some half hearted shaking when I got started, but when I started doing a good long vigorous aeration I had a lot less trouble with stuck fermentations and poor attenuation.

3 - Watch out during the boil, when it starts to get foamy on top the boil is about to happen and depending on how full your kettle is, you may have a messy boilover very quickly if left unattended.

4 - Once in the fermentor, resist the urge to mess with it for at least a week. You should see airlock activity within 48 hours and it may stop as quickly as 12 hours after it starts. Don't bother checking the gravity until at least a week after you pitched the yeast.

5 - Do a quick run through in your head before starting, make sure that everything you need is ready to go and will be easily accessible when you need it.

6 - Don't forget to take a hydrometer reading before putting the wort into the fermentor.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2011, 08:19 PM   #12
NuclearBrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
I have 2 kits, one is Australian Ale, and one is IPA, both from Cooper's. I'm not expecting great results from such kits, but I'm just trying to dial in the procedure and techniques for cleaning/racking/bottling/etc. before I go balls-out.

We'll see what happens - planning on fermenting first batch, then moving to secondary once complete (yes I bought a hydrometer). At the same time, I'll boil up a new batch to ferment until the first is ready for bottles. Then I wait until they are drinkable, which should give me enough beer to enjoy and assess while I plan my next move.

That's the plan, anyway.
Sounds like a good plan to me, it is pretty much how I started - just with different kits. It may take a few batches to dial in your procedure to where you would like it - a process I'm going through again because I just moved into all-grain brewing. It is not much different, but there are enough changes that I need to get the hang of when I need to do certain steps. Hope you have a fun time brewing!

Cheers!
-NB

Old 08-12-2011, 09:15 PM   #13
edie
Recipes 

my 2cents....... don't panic. have fun! let us know how it goes.

cheers

PRIMARY
nada

SECONDARY
nada

ON TAP
#1 damn near dead guy
#2 lil pils
#3 daisy's dunkel
#4 cream of the crop

ON DECK
-still looking for a rye (an extract with a low hop profile)

Old 08-12-2011, 09:23 PM   #14
beersteiner2345
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsn0blindxx View Post

2 - Aerate your wort befor pitching the yeast. Shake the fermentor vigorously for 5 minutes. I used to to some half hearted shaking when I got started, but when I started doing a good long vigorous aeration I had a lot less trouble with stuck fermentations and poor attenuation.
Good advice. I always siphon my wort from the kettle into the fermenter. I actually hold the hose about 3-4 feet above the fermenter though, and move it around so it splashes as it goes in. This seems to work pretty good. But then I am also obnoxiously not careful (sloshing around on purpose) for the walk from the kitchen to the room with the fermentation chamber... "taking the beer for a walk" helps to aerate it too...

Old 08-12-2011, 09:40 PM   #15
xxsn0blindxx
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
Good advice. I always siphon my wort from the kettle into the fermenter. I actually hold the hose about 3-4 feet above the fermenter though, and move it around so it splashes as it goes in. This seems to work pretty good. But then I am also obnoxiously not careful (sloshing around on purpose) for the walk from the kitchen to the room with the fermentation chamber... "taking the beer for a walk" helps to aerate it too...
Yeah I siphon into a funnel with a screen in the top of my carboy so there is pretty good aeration just from the transfer out of the kettle as well.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:01 PM   #16
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Only one other piece of advice I'd give you (that I may have missed above) that I wish I'd had before my first brew day:

Ahead of time, when you're not in the thick of things, make yourself a checklist. Include all your cleaning and sanitization tasks. Include any special instructions you may have for steeping grains. Include all your hop additions. If there's anything you have to do, include it in your checklist, and don't let that thing out of your sight on brew day.

My first brew day, I was so excited to get my first batch going. I had assisted with several brew days, so I felt confident I knew what was going on. Brew day went awesome - not a hitch to be seen. However: I realized when my wort was about half transfered into my carboy that I had cleaned the carboy - but I managed to completely forget to sanitize it!!!! Fortunately, I managed to RDWHAHB (had a cornie of brew we brewed at my buddy's place, on hand!) and the brew turned out fine. But if I'd had that checklist, I never would have had to worry!

I've used such a checklist on every subsequent brew day, and it makes things go so much more smoothly, that I really can relax as I'm going through the process.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:49 PM   #17
BrewForMe
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Sounds like you have a solid plan. Just pay attention and remember everything you have learned from HBT and you'll have some great beer in a few weeks. My #1 reminder is sanitation. if you have to ask yourself if something should be sanitized, the answer is always yes. RDWHACB!

Old 08-13-2011, 12:23 AM   #18
Bithead
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 81

So have a good time. When the batch is ready post a pic of your first pint and tell us how awesome it is.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:56 PM   #19
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 332 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 559

Well I think it all went well. Santized the bejeezus out of everything and now I wait for fermentation to begin, and end.

Only thing is OG reading says I only have a potential ABV of 3% - kinda sucks, but I don't care as long as end up with something drinkable for the first batch.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:29 PM   #20
ntaylor0
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulster2626
Well I think it all went well. Santized the bejeezus out of everything and now I wait for fermentation to begin, and end.

Only thing is OG reading says I only have a potential ABV of 3% - kinda sucks, but I don't care as long as end up with something drinkable for the first batch.
3%? What was your OG? And what temperature did you measure at with your hydrometer?

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS