Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is a 7gal carboy to big for a 5 gallon batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2010, 12:43 AM   #31
aubrey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handle View Post
Could anyone answer the question below? I see that I could indeed primary in the 7.5 gallon carboy, but essentially I want to know if I'm okay to leave the beer in the primary for a month or so, as many are now doing. Sorry for the noob question.
Yes, you can primary in it, and you can leave it in for aging. Since its already filled with CO2, and air can't get in, the headspace issue isnt an issue. If you were transferring into it as a secondary vessel, it would be an issue since CO2 production would be minimal.
Secondary: Bavarian Hefewizen (extract)
Bottle: Blue Moon clone, Sam Adams Boston Ale Clone, Christmas Chocolate Stout (All Grain)
Keg: AHS West Coast Pale Ale, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde (All Grain)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2010, 01:08 AM   #32
Grizzlybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handle View Post
Could anyone answer the question below? I see that I could indeed primary in the 7.5 gallon carboy, but essentially I want to know if I'm okay to leave the beer in the primary for a month or so, as many are now doing. Sorry for the noob question.
As Aubrey said, it's fine. CO2 is heavier than oxygen; it won't "float" out and allow oxygen in. Also, you can read a ton about autolysis if you want, but it doesn't seem to be an issue (this, from someone who secondaries!). Just leave it in the primary for a month and the CO2 blanket will protect the beer while the particulate matter falls out of suspension.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:40 PM   #33
Handle
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubrey View Post
Yes, you can primary in it, and you can leave it in for aging. Since its already filled with CO2, and air can't get in, the headspace issue isnt an issue. If you were transferring into it as a secondary vessel, it would be an issue since CO2 production would be minimal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybrew View Post
As Aubrey said, it's fine. CO2 is heavier than oxygen; it won't "float" out and allow oxygen in. Also, you can read a ton about autolysis if you want, but it doesn't seem to be an issue (this, from someone who secondaries!). Just leave it in the primary for a month and the CO2 blanket will protect the beer while the particulate matter falls out of suspension.
Thanks for the answers guys! Can't wait to use these as my primaries.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:14 PM   #34
MR2Aaron
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew View Post
For the last 20 years I have never seen or had the ability to order a 7.5 gallon carboy. They are probably 6.5 gallon or they are older than me.

Forrest
Laboratory equipment catalogs often list something called a carboy that looks kinda like what homebrewers think of, but is made of translucent PPE. I work in a scientific facility, and there's an old apparently cast-off one that someone left in the shower I use every morning. I don't know what its capacity is, but it appears to be closer to 10 gallons than five, and I've seen catalogs that listed much larger ones.

Quick Reply