Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 75% of IBU from 60 minute addition

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
GrogNerd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 3,423
Liked 857 Times on 596 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Default 75% of IBU from 60 minute addition

can't remember where, but somewhere I read that your 60 minute addition should contain 75% of your IBUs and I can't remember how the other 25% was distributed. might have been for an IPA, but can't even say if it was for any certain style

tried searching, but can't find it

anyone have any idea what the breakdown was?

__________________

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

GrogNerd is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Medford, WI
Posts: 3,205
Liked 418 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Default

Bittering is accomplished with a long boil to bring out most all of the hop oils. Flavoring and aroma is usually from 15 minutes to flame out. There is no certain formula. It all depends upon the profile you wish to achieve.

__________________
flars is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 10:46 PM   #3
Captain Damage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lowell, Massachusetts
Posts: 1,231
Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

As Flars said, there's no specific formula, but a rule of thumb is that after 30 minutes, so much of the aroma is lost that you might as well just consider it bittering. This is of course only a rule of thumb and there are a lot of variables including the variety of hops and even their freshness. But it's why, for example, 45 minute additions are uncommon. The most common schedules are something like 60, 20, 10, 5 and flameout or variations on that, such as 60 & 5. The later the hops are added, the less the alpha acids are isomerized and the more of the aromatic oils are preserved.

I've been making some good beers by hopbursting. That's where all of your hops are added at 30 minutes or less. Of course it takes more hops to get the same IBUs, but that's the point. E.g., if I had a beer that used 1 oz of 8% hops at 60 minutes and 1 oz at 5 minutes, I get 36 IBUs; if I move the "bittering" addition to 15 minutes, I'd use 2 oz for the same 36 IBUs. But since those hops aren't being boiled for as long, much more of the flavor and aroma is preserved. It's kind of blurring the idea of "bittering" vs "aroma" hops.

__________________

Stop using so much caramel malt. Your beer will thank you.
(yes, Carapils is a caramel malt...so is Special B)

FERMENTING

BOTTLED
pujwI HIq Mild Ale
KPA Khitomer Pale Ale

Captain Damage is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Calichusetts's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Plymouth, MA
Posts: 2,352
Liked 226 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 604

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogNerd View Post
can't remember where, but somewhere I read that your 60 minute addition should contain 75% of your IBUs and I can't remember how the other 25% was distributed. might have been for an IPA, but can't even say if it was for any certain style

tried searching, but can't find it

anyone have any idea what the breakdown was?
I think you read that wrong...IPAs are usually hoppy. I would say inverse that idea, 25% of your IBUs should come from your 60 minute. Some super hoppy commercial beers go way beyond that, only 5-10%. Me personally, I don't even do 60 minute additions on my IPAs. Everything is late hop additions (20 minutes of less).

But this will depend on your palette. With just late hopping, I am sacrificing the sharper bitterness many people enjoy in commercial IPAs with a more round and smooth bitterness. It tends to feel like far less IBUs than it is. Some like it, some don't. But what I do gain is a massive upfront hop flavor and aroma. Seriously on the commercial level. I can smell my beers as soon as I crack them. Try to find a balance, brew it, and work from there. But I would say 25% from your 60 is a great starting place. I do 20, 15, 10, 5, and flameout additions if you were wondering. Usually equal amounts.
__________________
Calichusetts is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
20 minute hop addition only Halbrust General Beer Discussion 11 09-12-2012 12:31 PM
0 Minute Hop Addition bytemyfoot Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 11 04-28-2011 12:25 PM
3 Minute Hop Addition cut in 1/2 - How to fix? Douglefish Recipes/Ingredients 4 08-19-2010 10:12 PM
Zero minute hop addition pretzelb Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 06-04-2010 12:18 AM
Last minute hop addition MULE General Techniques 11 04-19-2009 11:58 PM