Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 72 hr dormancy until ferment, then vigorous fermentation, now...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2008, 10:43 PM   #1
LovetheHops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 72 hr dormancy until ferment, then vigorous fermentation, now...

after 9 days of the following:
-3 days dormant until fermentation,
-3 days vigorous fermentation requiring a blow-off tube,
-3 days "normal" fermentation

I measured the gravity today and it was only 1.041 (on day 9), og was 1.065.

Given the vigorous fermentaion and the time, I was expecting closer to 1.01-1.02.

The beer has a slight burned rubber taste. Which is concerning. There is significant krausen, but the top layer of the wort looks realively normal. White bubbles with some krausen chunks.

Recipe was simple.
9lb LME
0.75lb Crystal 120L
75 minutes boil.
Hopped at boil.
American Ale Yeast.

Yeast was washed from a previous batch. Used distilled water and jars soaked in liquid, food grade santizer. Pitched 16oz of washed yeast.

Fermentiation was in a controled temperature room that ranges fro 68-75 degrees.

Anyone have any opinions on my high gravity reading and twangy burned rubber taste?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2008, 11:50 PM   #2
histo320
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 8

The twang would come from the extract. Burned rubber????? No clue. Next time, I would try and Steep some fresh grains. That might help alleviate some of the twang.

Drinking - Cream of Three Crops
Primary #1 - Deadringer IPA
Primary #2 - Highland Gaelic Ale Clone
Up Next - ???????

Old 12-15-2008, 02:11 PM   #3
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2019 Times on 1451 Posts
Likes Given: 1107

Let it ride. It's still young. Burnt rubber though. Never heard that one.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:14 PM   #4
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2759 Times on 2710 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Let it ride. It's still young. Burnt rubber though. Never heard that one.
1041 is not an acceptable FG. Don't just bottle and let it ride. I know ^ didn't say to bottle but I assumed he meant this and let it ride. Wanted to make sure the OP did not also.
Give the bucket a swirl to rouse the yeast back up and check it in a few days. If still 1041, pitch a pack of neutral dry yeast (nottingham or saf-04)

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 12-15-2008, 02:14 PM   #5
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

If you still have krausen it is still fermenting so I'm not surprised by your high gravity. Give it time. I don't usually check the gravity until the krausen has actually fallen.

As for the off flavors, it's difficult to say given that your beer is still actively fermenting. If I had to guess I would say you might have some scorched extract creating the burned flavor and some extract twang as well. How old was the extract you used? What condition was the can in?

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 12-15-2008, 07:02 PM   #6
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

+1 on the scorched extract. This will abate somewhat but if you burned much it can really harm your beer. Were there scorch marks in the kettle after brewing?

But really it is useless to taste beer this early on in the fermentation. All it will do is cause concern. There is nothing to do about any off flavor at this point anyway except wait and see if the flavor conditions out.

Put it out of sight and out of mind for 2 more weeks, take another gravity reading if the krausen has fallen and maybe bottle then.

In the meantime Relax, Don't Worry, Brew Another Batch Of HomeBrew.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:26 AM   #7
LovetheHops
Recipes 

thanks for the feedback. I don't think it is the extract as it was freshly poored that day. I don't think I burned the extract, as I took the pot of the heat during the extract addition. It is still fermenting so perhaps it will clear up as the yeast still have some work too do. I suppose you could also describe the off-flavor as somewhat medicine / astringent like. I personally think there is a chance it is infected due to my friend's similar experience.

I agree the best advice is to leave it be until fermentation is complete. I think I'll brew up an amber this weekend to help take my mind off it.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:17 PM   #8
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2019 Times on 1451 Posts
Likes Given: 1107

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
1041 is not an acceptable FG. Don't just bottle and let it ride. I know ^ didn't say to bottle but I assumed he meant this and let it ride. Wanted to make sure the OP did not also.
Give the bucket a swirl to rouse the yeast back up and check it in a few days. If still 1041, pitch a pack of neutral dry yeast (nottingham or saf-04)
Actually, I meant leave it alone.

Quick Reply