Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 72 Hours with no fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2009, 06:00 AM   #1
talenos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 72 Hours with no fermentation

Hey guys, sorry to post another, first brew problem story, but well you seemed like the guys to turn to. I have at least read a few of the other threads and am hopeful I can save my first batch of brown ale.

So I thought things went fine, but my beer just never started bubbling. I initially stored it downstairs where it was at 55 degress or so, and last night I stored it up in my room where it's closer to 65. I took a hydrometer reading just a second ago and it was at 1.02, so it appears to have done something, but isn't done. Should I just go get some more yeast to put in?

It definitely smelled like beer, and tasted like a really sweet beer. So that part was good. There was a ring around the top as well.

Are there any other suggestions out there?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2009, 06:04 AM   #2
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What was your OG? I'm assuming it wasn't 1.02, so obviously there has been some fermentation taking place. What are you basing your "72 hours with no fermentation" on?? Also, how long has it been in the fermenter? At this point my suggestion would be to wait it out. (Of course, this depends on your answers to the aforementioned questions.)

http://www.bluelinebrewer.com

Like my page on Facebook!

Old 03-11-2009, 06:07 AM   #3
jmo88
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by talenos View Post
Hey guys, sorry to post another, first brew problem story, but well you seemed like the guys to turn to. I have at least read a few of the other threads and am hopeful I can save my first batch of brown ale.

So I thought things went fine, but my beer just never started bubbling. I initially stored it downstairs where it was at 55 degress or so, and last night I stored it up in my room where it's closer to 65. I took a hydrometer reading just a second ago and it was at 1.02, so it appears to have done something, but isn't done. Should I just go get some more yeast to put in?

It definitely smelled like beer, and tasted like a really sweet beer. So that part was good. There was a ring around the top as well.

Are there any other suggestions out there?
Relax. Give it a gentle swirl or stir. Keep it above 60F

When u say 1.02 u mean 1.020 right? If that's the case, you had activity.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:08 AM   #4
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6075 Times on 5309 Posts
Likes Given: 715

If you post your recipe it will help -- if you're down to 1.020 after 3 days, you're well on your way.

as our friend Papazain says -- RDWHAHB

Old 03-11-2009, 06:08 AM   #5
talenos
Recipes 

Yeah, I did not take an intitial reading. I thought I would skip it this round, but the recipe says the starting gravity should be 1.045, so I'm guessing even if something went wrong that some fermentation has taken place, just none that I've seen. Could it have happened over a night, or during a work day?

I pitched the yeast on Saturday night, now it's Tuesday night. And yeah it was almost exactly 1.020

Here is the recipe
http://www.brewsupply.com/HowTo/Recipes/brownderby.html

Old 03-11-2009, 06:24 AM   #6
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ah hell, you're only 3 days in? RDWHAHB!!!! Leave the yeasties alone, they're working their a$$e$ off for YOU! Let them do their job. If you're down to 1.020, like AZ_IPA said, you're well on your way. I'd give it a MINIMUM of 7 days before worrying even crossed my mind. It would appear that maybe you're impatient.... aren't we all, but I leave my beer in the primary for 2-3 weeks. Again, just let it be, it'll all work out. I'd guess you're wanting your FG to be around 1.012..... but a more experienced brewer may have some better advice

http://www.bluelinebrewer.com

Like my page on Facebook!

Old 03-11-2009, 05:23 PM   #7
talenos
Recipes 

Thanks for the encouragement, it sounds like there may be nothing to worry about. I was just a little worried that I had not witnessed any bubbling. This was my first beer so, it's hard to not be impatient or worry.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:43 PM   #8
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Bubbling indicates nothing. There are any number of reasons why you haven't seen any bubbles, none of which have anything to do with your yeast.

Just leave the little buggers alone. They know what they're doing!

Prince Charles says, "Here, me old china! 'ave one urv these!"

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 03-11-2009, 05:50 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Read this in regards to airlock bubbling....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/1183857-post199.html

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-23-2010, 04:51 PM   #10
kevmoron
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Most likely you did not have a good seal on your fermenter. In the future, if you're at a point where there should be a lot of activity (like the first two days after pitching), odds are your seal is the problem.

Did you have it in a plastic bucket? If you had it in a clear carboy and in addition to no airlock bubbles you had no krausen or foaming, no visible churning of yeast inside, that would be a bit odd. In that case I'd be a bit concerned about whether the fermentation is healthy. But if you didn't look inside and are going JUST on the airlock, the first thing you should do is check the seal.

Quick Reply