Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 7 th batch and still confused

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 12:29 AM   #1
dmbshen41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 7 th batch and still confused

We are currently brewing out 7th extract kit from Midwest supplies ( killians mock) as reading the instructions we noticed these particular instructions say when finished steeping the grains at 155 to immediately add the lme, on all previous brew days we have brought the wort to a boil after steeping grains before adding the lme, is this a issue that we brought the wort to a boil before adding lme? And if so why. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 12:32 AM   #2
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I dont think it will make a huge difference...if i had to guess they tell you to do this to prevent huge boil overs. You will still see them with it starts boiling, but i do know from experience trying to pour in DME/LME and keep it from boiling over at the same time can be a pain..so most get it boiling and take it off and mix the DME in...esentially the same thing you'd be doing.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:34 AM   #3
Conan
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm unfamiliar with the kit but it sounds like they're just eliminating the 'heat to boil, kill heat, add extract, bring to boil' step and going straight to 'add extract and bring to boil'. It's been awhile since I've made an extract batch though and could be mistaken. Either way I can't imagine you did any harm to the wort, it's just dissolving sugar, right? Kyle

Old 02-08-2013, 12:35 AM   #4
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1270 Times on 845 Posts
Likes Given: 584

It doesn't matter in the slightest. Like Mr. Wuzze says, the only real difference is that adding at peak boil runs the risk of a sudden boilover. I'd never thought to add soon as the steeping was done, but it's a smart way to write the instructions.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-08-2013, 12:44 AM   #5
dmbshen41
Recipes 

Alright ya we thought we were fine just curious in why some of Midwest instructions were different then others, I always just figured they used same instructions and just changed names of ingredients

Old 02-08-2013, 12:47 AM   #6
Dellis0709
Recipes 

xfddc

Quick Reply