7.5 month old tripel conundrum...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treydobass

Reaction score
Followed instructions as was told by a more experienced brewer (@ the time), and fermed primary for 3 weeks, and has been in secondary glass carboy for 7ish months now. Want to bottle but curious whether my yeast still has any umph. ???

In aged, high abv beers, most of the original yeast is dead. Add some dried champagne yeast. It costs less than a buck per pack (you don't need anywhere close to a whole pack), works quickly, will eat only the priming sugar, and can tolerate very high levels of alcohol.

I would highly advise against bottling as-is. Definitely get some fresh yeast in there, some people like to add it to the fermenter a few days before bottling so as to clean up any unfermented sugars and make sure just the corn sugar adds carbonation, I usually just dump it right into the bottling bucket while I'm racking over.

Trust me, bottling a Tripel and still having 0 carbonation after 5 months of waiting is a pretty big PITA. It's happened to me, and despite the beer itself tasting delicious, a flat Tripel is just not a good thing.

I have a question for this thread. I got the BBest kit belgian triple (fourth batch).

Im understanding here that big beers need a wile to ferment. How long should I keep fermentation? And then for bottles? Also I see that it might be worth pitching yeast a few day befpre bottling. If so what yeast would be good with the BB kit? (Sorry I forgot what brand the yeast was with the kit.)

The kit should come with aging times, but doesn't, as far as I can see. Northern Brewer says to age theirs 3 months, Midwest for 9-12. gtotally guessing, I'd say to go with a 1 month primary and a 3-6 month secondary, then not be in any kind of a rush to drink the bottles, but for a beer that doesn't feature prominent hoppiness (either in ibus or in flavor/aroma), you can age longer with no ill effects. To bottle, use a small amount of either the exact same strain you fermented with originally, or of champagne yeast.

I'm assuming that I will learn to not rush in brewing a few more times. I waited for one response and ran with it due to time constraints (although I waited months, I know.). SO, racked with priming sugar and bottled. Crap. Now what? Trash 'em, remove caps and sprinkle a tiny amount of champagne yeast risking some bottle bombs, pour bottles into a keg with a little yeast, try those carbonation drops? Lets make my mistake/lesson OUR experiment! We could even mix and try all ideas against a few control bottles I could leave alone. Despite my screw ups thus far everything else with the brew has gone great. Suggestions welcome y'all!

I have to agree with repitching at bottling time. You're talking a big beer that's been aging for quite awhile, chances are you're ok, but like phenry said, it'd suck to bottle that beer after all that time and have it not carb up. I'd err on the side of repitching.

Back