Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 62 degrees... too cold?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2008, 10:47 PM   #1
Donner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 62 degrees... too cold?

I just brewed my first bath of beer on saturday, made a Belgian Amber Ale. The weather here in Texas has been kinda crazy, 30 at night and 75 during the day. I'm keeping my primary in a closet in a spare bedroom. I've taken the temp several times in there and it's consistently 62-63 degrees. I do have a blanket wrapped around the bucket, but i don't know if it's enough.

I used Wyeast 1056 and i'm curious if this it's getting too cold for the yeast, and if so, what are the dangers. It's still bubbling, but not continuously and if i tap on the lid i get a reaction in the airlock.

I can move it to a new place or open the closet door to let more heat in, but it gets pretty cold in that part of the house and i know i should avoid light and draft.

I appreciate any info anyone can give me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2008, 10:58 PM   #2
AFAJ Brew Guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sounds good to me. I believe the temp range of that yeast in 60-70ish. I don't think you would want to go into the 70 range, but 63 sounds fine. I usually have my brews in the 63-66 range.

"There seems to be an over abundance of beer related items in this house." -SWMBO

Old 02-13-2008, 11:19 PM   #3
brett

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

I ferment my session ale--which uses WYeast 1056--at 60F to 63F. You may have to ferment slightly longer, but it should come out nice and clean tasting. Very refreshing. I usually prefer to ferment at the lower end of the temperature range of the yeast.

You have nothing to worry about.

Primary 1: House Ale (yay!)
Primary 2: empty
Primary 3: empty
Primary 4: empty
Bottle Conditioning: Apfelwein
Bottle Conditioning: Apfelwein + Blueberry
Kegged/Drinking: Partigyle Brown Ale
Conditioning: New House Barley Wine
Conditioning: Ghetto canned kit bitter (Surprisingly getting better w/ age)
Just Finished: Edwort's Apfelwein
Up next: More House Ale ?!?

Old 02-13-2008, 11:39 PM   #4
riored4v
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I'm just curious, but what are some recommendations to keeping the primary cool?

Right now, I'm getting an avg of about 65-68 in my closet, but I know with the way temps are around here during the summer, finding a cool spot is going to be next to impossible unless i run my a/c hard.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:52 PM   #5
Donner
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all the responses. I wasn't too worried, my instructions just said to keep it between 65-75 or something like that.

I do have one other question, though. I noticed a banana smell during the first few days of fermentation, which i've read it normal. Is it normal for those smells to go away, though? I had started to expect them to last the entire process.

Quick Reply