Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 6 hours after first ever brew and I have the "I wish I had done that..."

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2011, 05:31 AM   #1
thummel1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 6 hours after first ever brew and I have the "I wish I had done that..."

Well, it is done and beyond me now. I'm putting my faith in the yeast and hoping for the best. But... I still can't stop from pondering on a few upsetting things that happened during my first brew.

1) I used dry yeast. I decided to rehydrate the yeast, spur of the moment and this process probably didn't go as well as I had wished. We boiled the water as described and let it cool to around 90-100 degrees before adding the yeast... what scares me is looking back I forgot cover the measuring cup with the water before adding the yeast. It sat in open air for upwards of 30-45 minutes...

2) Once the yeast was hydrated I did use saran wrap to cover it, but come time to pitch the yeast I did not stir, agitate, or do anything. Rather, I just poured the solution into the fermenter and sealed it up leaving the sediment at the bottom of the measuring cup (or likely billions of yeast cells)...

Not much I can do now other than learn from my mistakes. I just hope enough yeast cells made it to properly ferment my beer! Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2011, 05:40 AM   #2
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Relax brother,
This will not be the last thing you rush through or forget to do and it will all end up as beer.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:47 AM   #3
Brek81
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

yeast are quite amazing. They have been making beer for us for thousands of years, dont worry and let them do what they were raised to do it will all be fine

Old 01-04-2011, 05:48 AM   #4
PolishLogic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds to me like you'll end up with beer.

Relax, I'm willing to bet that it turns out to be quite tasty.

Bottled: St. Paul Porter, Waldo Lake Amber, Pumpkin Pi, "Dubbel Play" Ale, Big Honkin Stout, Polish Ale
On Deck: "Beyond the Pale" Ale, Patersbier, NB Innkeeper Ale, SN Tumbler Clone, Dry Irish Stout

Quick Reply