Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 6-7 gallon buckets

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2009, 01:01 PM   #1
yeasty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default 6-7 gallon buckets

are we the only guys who use larger than 5gal buckets for anything ? i was trying to avoid a lengthy trip to the LHBS for a freaking bucket (that they want almost $20 for), but i cant find anyone who sells them. yes i know i can get them on-line but i wanted to just pick one up today. any advice on where to check ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2009, 02:06 PM   #2
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeasty View Post
are we the only guys who use larger than 5gal buckets for anything ? i was trying to avoid a lengthy trip to the LHBS for a freaking bucket (that they want almost $20 for), but i cant find anyone who sells them. yes i know i can get them on-line but i wanted to just pick one up today. any advice on where to check ?
You might try bakeries in your neighborhood. I have been looking myself with not much in the luck dept.

Because of the lack of finding one, I have decided to split my wort between two smaller buckets. You could do the same with two 5 gallon ones or even two 3 gallon buckets. That would leave you plenty of room and you could experiment with one batch with adjuncts.

Just a thought.

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2003!!! Whoop!

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

Old 02-20-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2430 Times on 1716 Posts
Likes Given: 1379

I just called my local bakery and they have 5 gallon buckets, food grade, with lids, for $1.50 each. They did not have anything larger. But that is still a great price for a 5G bucket!

Old 02-20-2009, 02:52 PM   #4
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I just called my local bakery and they have 5 gallon buckets, food grade, with lids, for $1.50 each. They did not have anything larger. But that is still a great price for a 5G bucket!
Not bad! Great for secondary and storage.

Do forget to check your local grocery store with instore bakery. They basically throw theirs out daily. I will be checking mine this Sat morning.

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2003!!! Whoop!

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

Old 02-20-2009, 02:53 PM   #5
yeasty
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

still striking out. i have an extra 5.5gal carboy i am soooo tempted to use as a primary with a blow-off tube but my next batch is a stout !

Old 02-20-2009, 03:01 PM   #6
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2430 Times on 1716 Posts
Likes Given: 1379

Dang. If you were going to brew that much at a time, I'd bite the bullet and find something. Luckily I have a couple of buckets and at least one of them is an Ale Pail and I think I can fit 6 gallons in there, although my recipes have always been 5 gallons (extract so far).

Old 02-20-2009, 03:20 PM   #7
flylock_jac
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Try your local donut shop , Chinese take out ,or just about any other food establishment.
Most get supplies in 5 gallon buckets.
I got mine from Drunkin Donuts. Less the 5 buck dollars for a pair with lids.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:23 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3488

Got a Petsmart or other big box pet store near you?

Petsmart sells pet food containers that some people have used as fermenters. Just put a hole and grommet for and airlock on it.

Gamma Plastics Vittles Vaults available through Petsmart. They are food grade, stackable, come in various sizes, and have an airtight locking lid...

You can also order them on line in various sizes even from amazon, and many online pet supply dealers.

In fact ONE online LHBS has taken thier 22 gallon sized, slapped a spigot and and airlock on it and have the nerve to sell it for nearly 100 bucks...Considering you can get one for about 50.00 (if not cheaper) then spend a total of 4 more bucks for both a spigot and an airlock....They probably stole the idea from discussions on here...

Others also use it for grain storage...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-20-2009, 03:28 PM   #9
Cookiebaggs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Too bad your not closer to me. I own a commercial bakery and have about 30 5 gallon food grade buckets and 20 6.5 gallon food grade buckets. I'd just give them to you.

In fact, we are having a brewday tomorrow and I plan on sending some home with a few HBT'ers!

Old 02-20-2009, 03:29 PM   #10
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
In fact ONE online LHBS has taken thier 22 gallon sized, slapped a spigot and and airlock on it and have the nerve to sell it for nearly 100 bucks...
Those 22 gallon vittle vault things cost like $50. 50% of markup is not particularly egregious in retail and I doubt any homebrew store is able to buy those things wholesale.

In fact, if I start listing retailers that sell hops for more than twice what they can be bought in bulk then I will be going for a long time. I can start with all of the retailers that are well loved here at HBT.

Do we really want to talk about the "nerve" of this?

Quick Reply