Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 6.5 Gallon Pail as Secondary Fermenter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2008, 07:37 PM   #1
borders
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 6.5 Gallon Pail as Secondary Fermenter?

Would a 6.5 gallon plastic pail work as a secondary fermenter for a 5 gallon batch? I have several 6.5 gallon plastic pails but no 5 gallon carboy. I have read a lot about whether secondary fermentation is even necessary, but I plan on starting a lager in a week or two and want to experiment with this. I have also read that lagers benefit from a secondary due to the length of time that they should remain in the fermenters and the potential for off flavors if it has to sit in the primary for that long.

What are the pros and cons of using a 6.5 gallon pail as a secondary for a 5 gallon batch? Anyone have any other thoughts or experiences? Many thanks for any help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 270 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you rack your beer to another bucket, you will increase your chances of oxidation as you will now have a huge head space filled with air instead of CO2. If you want to lager, you want as little head space as possible. A bucket is not a good lagering vessel anyway as it is oxygen permeable as well.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:42 PM   #3
borders
Recipes 

If a 6.5 gallon pail is not advisable for a secondary fermentation, how essential is a s/f for a lager?

Old 01-12-2008, 09:00 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4772 Times on 3469 Posts
Likes Given: 947

Lagers require a clearing vessel- first to get them off the yeast cake and then to lager them. Since they might spend 8-12 weeks in the carboy, you want them off the yeast cake. Here's some great info on lagers:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter10-2.html

Old 01-13-2008, 02:31 AM   #5
oddsock
Recipes 

How long would your beer have to be in a bucket secondary before oxygen became a problem? Assuming you used a 5 gallon bucket to minimize head space. Is this a days, weeks, or months issue?

5 gallon buckets are easy to get (and free to me), but any brew specific equipment has to be shipped in.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:35 AM   #6
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 270 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I just would not secondary in a bucket. Great for primaries and bottling, but long term aging and lagering should be done in a carboy or keg.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:29 AM   #7
Jesse17
Yep....I tell you what...

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Are food grade buckets really oxygen permeable? I didn't think they where. I think I will invest in a 6.5 gal carboy (glass not BB) or stop leaving them in the primary for 2 - 2.5 weeks if this is true.

Quick Reply