New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 5th batch over carbonated, cause?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 02:51 AM   #1
SurlyBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default 5th batch over carbonated, cause?

I made a pale ale. It was very carbonated after 5 days in the bottle. Tried one tonight that sat in the fridge for 48 hours, and it had been bottled for 15 days and still over carbonated. But, the carbonation didn't go away, and it was continually bubbling like soda. This leads me to believe its a more serious issue. I also tried to open a warm one and it continually foamed out of the bottle. Now I have read Revy's post on this issue, and how its just part of the bottling process. Its early in the process and it should go away with time. But, also looking into what John Palmer had to say on the issues is it could be infected. If I don't stick em in the fridge now, it will continue to carbonate and get worse, potentially dangerous. The whole bubbling continually like soda seems more like my issue here, and not the issue of no bubbling and lots of head.

John Palmer:
Gusher Infection However, the sustained bubbling is often due to "gusher type" infection. These infections can occur at any time and are due to wild yeasts or bacteria that eat the higher order sugars, like dextrins. The result in the fermentor is a beer that keeps bubbling until all of the carbohydrates are fermented, leaving a beer that has no body and very little taste. If it occurs at bottling time, the beer will overcarbonate and will fizz like soda pop, fountaining out of the bottle.
Cure: Improve your sanitation next time.

Wild Yeast: A gusher bug has gotten into the beer. Gusher bugs and wild yeasts are a real problem as they will keep on fermenting the beer until there is nothing left but fizzy bitter alcoholic water. The real danger with overcarbonation is exploding bottles. Bottle grenades can be very dangerous both from flying glass and from glass slivers left in the carpet.
Cures: Refrigerate the bottles and drink them while there is still some flavor left.

Here are the specifics:

OG: 1.043
FG: 1.013

Primary: 11 days
Secondary: 14 days

5 Gallons
Measured out 5oz brewers best corn sugar

I'm going to let it sit for a while and see if this issue goes away. I may be jumping the gun, I hope at least. On the other hand, I really don't want to have to deal with any bottle bombs. So I am hoping its just the issue of newly bottled beer and not a gusher bug. Thoughts? Revy?

Cheers!

Primary: Chinook/Simcoe Black IPA, Scottish Wee Heavy

Bottled: Dunkelweizen, Caribou Slobber Ale, Smooth Nut Brown Ale, Surly Furious Clone, Amarillo Pale Ale, Falconers Flight IPA, Citra Pale Ale (Award Winner), Blue Moon Clone, Simcoe/Citra/Amarillo Pale Ale, English India Pale Ale, Cream ale, Liberty Cream ale, 2012 Harvest Ale, Dog Fish Head 60 Min, Cream of Three Crops

Kegged: KarmaCitra Pale Ale, Land Down Under Pale Ale (Motueka, Nelson Sauvin, & Aus Galaxy hops)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 03:00 AM   #2
Shaneoco1981

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Taste it. If it tastes bad or sour, then it maybe infected. If it tastes like over carbonated beer, then you used to much priming sugar, or the priming sugar was not evenly stirred in. More then likely, you should RDWHAHB.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
SurlyBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneoco1981 View Post
Taste it. If it tastes bad or sour, then it maybe infected. If it tastes like over carbonated beer, then you used to much priming sugar, or the priming sugar was not evenly stirred in. More then likely, you should RDWHAHB.
It tastes like neither of those, just pretty good beer!

Bottled: Dunkelweizen, Caribou Slobber Ale, Smooth Nut Brown Ale, Surly Furious Clone, Amarillo Pale Ale, Falconers Flight IPA, Citra Pale Ale (Award Winner), Blue Moon Clone, Simcoe/Citra/Amarillo Pale Ale, English India Pale Ale, Cream ale, Liberty Cream ale, 2012 Harvest Ale, Dog Fish Head 60 Min, Cream of Three Crops

Kegged: KarmaCitra Pale Ale, Land Down Under Pale Ale (Motueka, Nelson Sauvin, & Aus Galaxy hops)

Old 04-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 73 Posts

I had batch 11 that had the first 4 bottles opened ( after 1 week in the fridge) foam just like that. The rest of the beer was severely UNDER carbed. I finally concluded that I had failed to mix the priming sugar sufficiently and the first 4 bottles (which were the last 4 capped) had received a disproportinate dose of priming sugar. No infection involved, since all the bottles smelled and tasted fine. Your nose will tell you if a batch is infected. That's why the creator put it just above your mouth.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
BobC
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It looks like it could have used another week in secondary. The yeast hadn't quite finished so when you added additional priming sugar you got over carbed beers.

Primary 1 - Smash 1
Primary 2 - Smash 2
Primary 3 - Belgium Triple
Bottled - Oatmeal Stout, ESB, Belgium Light.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
Beer-lord

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I have a batch of black ipa that is overcarbed. I've done this too much to use too much sugar and, in fact, undercarbed this a bit. It tastes awesome but the bottles are foamy even after being in the fridge for days.
I have some in a keg that I'm going to purge before I tap but I still wonder what happened.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
SurlyBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How do I make sure to not over carb a beer again? Do I follow the recipe? Do I follow beer smith? Is there another resource that someone reccomends using to make sure you've used enough priming sugar? I am bottling a batch of Surly Furious after work today and I don't want to make the same mistake twice.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #8
cshamilton
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

One thing to consider, after the beer settles down - is it still carbed well? Or is it flat? With hoppy beers (especially dry hopped) you can get some hop particles in the bottles. The can cause excessive foaming, since the hops serve as CO2 nucleation points (like mentos in diet coke). This will leave you with semi-flat beer after the foaming dies down.

If you think this might be the case, chill down some for a good week and check them after you pour very carefully - this is usually long enough to get hop particles to settle into the cake.

My most recent recipes: http://www.brewtoad.com/brewers/191

Old 04-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3445

We get thsi all the time from folks who open their bottles WAAAAAYYYYYYY early.

If you watch Poindexter's video on time lapsed carbonation, you will see that in many instances, before a beer is carbed it my gush, that's not from infection, or mixing of sugars, but because the co2 hasn't evened out- it hasn't been pulled fully into the beer. Think of it as there's a lot of co2 being generated and most of it is in the headspace, not in the beer, so there's still "over pressure" in the bottle, so it gushes when it is opened.

But when the beer is truly carbed it all evens out, across the bottles.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And just because a beer is carbed doesn't mean it still doesn't taste like a$$ and need more time for the off flavors to condition out. You have green beer.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience."

Additionally once the three weeks or so has passed, chiling them down for a few days (not just a few hours or over night as most new brewers want to do ) will help the carbonation settle.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #10
SurlyBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ha, thanks Revy! Saw this exact post on another thread. I'm 99% sure this is the case, and I am glad I watched the video last night, not as wrorried anymore. But, the one thing that is different between pointdexter's beer in the video is his beer had little to no carbonation and bubbles in his beer after two weeks, and it all was all head. In my case, my beer had a lot of head and a lot of bubbles in the beer after two weeks. I checked with a priming calc and I had over primed by around an oz. Either way, I think from now on I will use a priming calculator, and drink a nice homebrew when I get home and relax. Happy Friday everyone, cheers!

Quick Reply