The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 5 vs. 6 gallons

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2010, 11:14 PM   #1
kwaidonjin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 5 vs. 6 gallons

I am about to make a Muntons Gold Imperial stout No boil kit. Two cans of malt extract one hopped and one not. It calls to make 6 us Gallons, What would be the likely outcome if I used 5 gallons instead? Would it have to strong a taste? I have never made a stout before, but have been real pleased with the Muntons IPA & Pilsner.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 38

It will be higher gravity, probably a little richer flavor and have a higher ABV. You'll also get one gallon less of it for your effort.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 05-27-2010, 11:21 PM   #3
kwaidonjin
Recipes 

Do you think it would be better??? I will give up a gallon for a better tasting beer.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:31 PM   #4
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaidonjin View Post
Do you think it would be better??? I will give up a gallon for a better tasting beer.
Potentially, but, never having brewed it, it's hard to say. It wouldn't render it undrinkable. Try it and see, what have you really got to lose? It's just beer.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 05-28-2010, 12:45 AM   #5
billvon
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Give it a shot. If you don't like it add some water back in.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:29 AM   #6
kwaidonjin
Recipes 

Add water back in before I pitch my yeast?

Old 05-28-2010, 04:01 AM   #7
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Quote:
Actually, it is possible to add water in post fermentation, prior to drinking, but I wouldn't worry about it. I occasionally make Coopers kits and they are also sized for six gallons, but I hear that a lot of people just make them as a five gallon batch and they turn out just fine.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:52 AM   #8
billvon
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Or after fermentation, before either kegging or bottling. I'd boil it first just to be sure on sanitation, especially if you do it before pitching yeast. If you have fermentor size limits I'd stick to a 5 gallon ferment (since the headspace can come in handy if you have a rowdy fermentation.)

Occasionally I've done this by just increasing the amount of water I dissolve the bottling sugar in. It helps sanitize the bottling bucket a bit better anyway.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:18 PM   #9
BeerWars
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Weigh the ingredients. Multiply by 5 then divide by 6. Use that amount of ingredients.

Your 6 gallon recipe is now a 5 gallon recipe.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:24 PM   #10
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

What's the gravity going to be in the 6 gallon? What style is the beer?

Brewing it at 5 gal should be fine either way.

Quick Reply