Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is 5 gallons the magic number?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2011, 03:58 AM   #1
schulzzw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is 5 gallons the magic number?

I have been thinking about starting to brew at home. The problem is I live in a little one bedroom apartment. The smallest batch I ever see people talking about is 5 gallons. Would it be possible to do smaller batch or is 5 gallons the magic number?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2011, 04:05 AM   #2
StokedBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

5 is the magic number primarily because it is the size mist common for your standard home fermenter. One could produce 3 gallon batches or smaller, but the increased space in the fermenter could lead to oxygenation. Not common, but it is possible.
Also the brewing process is time consuming and laborious. To spend an afternoon brewing and make anything less than 5 gallons (roughly 60 beers) would be tantamount to wasting. If you're content to spend your time and energy on a smaller batch, be my guest. But you'll still use the same amount of yeast, which can be a costly part of brew. Personally I make 10 to 15 gallon, but that's mostly because my friends can't leave my beer alone. I've had kegs (also 5gal) finished within hours before. It would be too much work to spend a days time for 3 hours worth of beer.
So, best of luck in your endeavors. Make whatever size batches you wish, but eventually when you make a phenomenal beer, I bet you'll wish you had made more.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:12 AM   #3
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 602

Quote:
Originally Posted by StokedBrew View Post
5 is the magic number primarily because it is the size mist common for your standard home fermenter. One could produce 3 gallon batches or smaller, but the increased space in the fermenter could lead to oxygenation. Not common, but it is possible.
Also the brewing process is time consuming and laborious. To spend an afternoon brewing and make anything less than 5 gallons (roughly 60 beers) would be tantamount to wasting. If you're content to spend your time and energy on a smaller batch, be my guest. But you'll still use the same amount of yeast, which can be a costly part of brew. Personally I make 10 to 15 gallon, but that's mostly because my friends can't leave my beer alone. I've had kegs (also 5gal) finished within hours before. It would be too much work to spend a days time for 3 hours worth of beer.
So, best of luck in your endeavors. Make whatever size batches you wish, but eventually when you make a phenomenal beer, I bet you'll wish you had made more.
I vote for this as the best 7th post by a member ever.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:21 AM   #4
Monstar
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I started with one gallon batches, all grain, because of my tiny apartment. Downside: you have to brew all the time to keep beer in the fridge. Upside: tons of variety.

I fermented in the one gallon apple cider jugs. If you start with small batches, I would reccomend doing extract. Spending 3-4 hours to get 8 pints of brew is a little rough.

You won't have oxygenation issues and you don't need to use the same amount of yeast as in a five gallon batch. That first reply was a bit misleading. I use to just pitch a half a packet of dry yeast.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:24 AM   #5
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you use a Mr. Beer keg and scale the recipe accordingly, you can make 2.25-ish gallons at a clip. There's also this http://www.brewsuppliesdirect.com/in...iter-kits.html but I don't know about taste...
There's also these folks in NYC, http://brooklynbrewshop.com/ you could probably do research and get some reviews to help you decide. I'd have to agree with StokedBrew, when your beer turns out good, you'll wish you'd made more. Pete

Old 10-07-2011, 04:27 AM   #6
Monstar
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 18 Posts

BrooklynBrewShop is where I got started. Only did one kit ans then made my own recipes from there. It's funny, I didn't even know about extract til after I was a few brews in.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:34 AM   #7
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 36 Posts

I started with Mr. Beer, persevered and went to partial mash. Looking back, I'd wish I'd started with the BBS's (or something similar), I think it would've given me a bit more of a positive outlook on home brewing.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:42 AM   #8
ozzy1038
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StokedBrew View Post
This is exactly why 10 gallon batches are in my near future. I pretty well have figured out so far what my "house brews" are going to be, so it will be no more work to brew 10 as it would 5.

Small batches are typically reserved for sample/test beers or specialty beers. I brewed 3 gallons of a rauchbier for primarily food use. Although all that has been done so far is drinking it!

Primary: Hopped Up Brown

Bottled: Litehaus Wheat, Orange APA, Rauchbier, Willy's Cream Stout

Kegged: Tank 7 Clone renamed "Le Ferme" (dryhopped cascade, sorachi), Caramel Amber Ale, Trout Bum APA, 3 Dogs APA

Gallons Brewed Since June: 53.5

Old 10-07-2011, 04:45 AM   #9
Thehopguy
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Trust me your apartment isnt smaller than mine. I wouldn't brew less than 5, like others have stated its probably the same amount of work for less beer.

On Deck: Double IPA, GTBT V3
Primary: GTBT APA
Bottled: GTBT V2, GTBT V1, Black IPA, Centennial IPA, Pumpkin Ale, Badboy IPA, Simarillo APA

Old 10-07-2011, 05:03 AM   #10
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 602

I forgot about Mr. Beer... those were the best 2 gallon batches ever.I will never make another one though. Times have changed.

Quick Reply