Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is a 5 gallon water bottle the same as a carboy/better bottle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2010, 01:54 AM   #11
ipajay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I think the Better bottles are a bit better (lots of b's) due to the fact they seem like they would be a bit more resistant to being dropped. They are tough and have a little give where regular plastic water bottles seem a bit more rigid/hard and more prone to break. That beign said I use both though!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010, 02:05 AM   #12
buzzkill
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I use one from time to time,never had a problem..

Old 05-08-2010, 02:16 AM   #13
badmajon
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Hey,

Make sure it is NOT a PVC (#3) bottle. I went to Walmart and bought a water bottle, stupidly assuming it was the same stuff culligan uses for their water bottles which I used before without issue (they use #7). It imparted a nasty plastic rubber taste to my mead and I wasted about $50 worth of ingredients and my time.

#7 polycarbonate = okay

PET = okay

#3 = not okay

Old 05-08-2010, 02:19 AM   #14
bullinachinashop
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I got into this craft for a lot of reasons and cost was one of them.

That being said and after brewing for a while, I would never compromise on something that could affect the taste or shelf life of a product that I personally put forth so much effort into.

As jalgayer stated above, the price difference between the two is small.

So, do you want to take a chance?

Bull

Old 05-08-2010, 02:33 AM   #15
BrewInATL
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

You also get the domed bottom in the better bottle which helps with all of the yeast cake when you're siphoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernerbits View Post
Because I was fortunate enough to have 255 colors in my crayola box as a kid. You poor bastard.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:45 AM   #16
aerod1
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just finished with my first batch (a Bock). I used a 5 gal. clear plastic Ozarka Bottle as my secondary fermenter. It worked great! I have access to several of these and as long as they work that well I will continue using them.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #17
SteveWin1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinachinashop View Post
I got into this craft for a lot of reasons and cost was one of them.

That being said and after brewing for a while, I would never compromise on something that could affect the taste or shelf life of a product that I personally put forth so much effort into.

As jalgayer stated above, the price difference between the two is small.

So, do you want to take a chance?

Bull
Better Bottles are a rip off, IMO. You're just paying for a brand. The same type of plastic used in Better Bottles (PET) is also used in the 5-gallon water jugs. Just go to your local supermarket, flip some bottles over and look for a "1" inside a triangle. That means its PET. I just bought two 5 gallon PET bottles filled with generic spring water for $6 each! There is no difference in the type of plastic and the bottles seem very durable. They have a handle on the side so it will be easier to move than a better bottle. The handles are solid, so I won't have to worry about cleaning out the hollow handles that a lot of these bottles have. It seems ridiculous to spend $30 (plus more for shipping) for a 5-gal empty PET bottle that says "Better Bottle," when you can save 4/5 of that money and get a 5-gal PET bottle that is filled with some nice spring water that you can use for your wort. Its 1/5 the price (not including the shipping costs), so saying that the price difference is small is inaccurate to me, especially considering that I got 5 gallons of spring water with each of my bottles. I only minored in chemistry, but I really don't see any important difference between the bottles.

Last edited by SteveWin1; 01-22-2012 at 11:05 PM.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #18
liquiditynerd
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Start looking for a glass carboy. I know the cost is more but you won't regret it if you keep brewing.

....just add water.....

Quick Reply