Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 5 gallon vs 7.5 gallon stock pot?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2012, 02:10 AM   #1
rdkirk86
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 5 gallon vs 7.5 gallon stock pot?

So I purchased a 7.5 gallon stock pot from a local brew supply store, but all the beer extract kits instructions always say to boil anywhere from 2.5 to 3 gallons of water, then add the water to the carboy after. Had I known what I know now I would have picked a 5 gallon, especially because I'm brewing on an electric stove. Is there any benefit in a 7.5 gallon pot, or was I just conned into spending an extra 35 dollars for an extra gallon and a half?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 02:14 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4278 Times on 3117 Posts
Likes Given: 824

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkirk86 View Post
So I purchased a 7.5 gallon stock pot from a local brew supply store, but all the beer extract kits instructions always say to boil anywhere from 2.5 to 3 gallons of water, then add the water to the carboy after. Had I known what I know now I would have picked a 5 gallon, especially because I'm brewing on an electric stove. Is there any benefit in a 7.5 gallon pot, or was I just conned into spending an extra 35 dollars for an extra gallon and a half?
How much can you boil on your electric stove? Many people can't boil 5.5 gallons but some can. I'd suggest trying it with water, to see how much you can boil and how long it takes to get to a boil. If you can boil a whole volume of 6 gallons (down to 5 gallons after an hour), then you can do a full boil volume for your extract batches.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:17 AM   #3
allenH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2062 Times on 1138 Posts
Likes Given: 990

The 7.5 was the smart buy, it will allow you to move beyond the LME/DME + top off water brews. I have a 7.5 gallon pot that I make 5 gallon AG batches with and it is barely big enough to do a average sized brew (1.050). I am waiting for free time to cut up my keg (soon to be keggle).

Old 08-13-2012, 02:27 AM   #4
chessking
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 41 Posts

If your stove can handle it, full volume boils give better hop efficiency and you are certain the wort is sanitized. Just remember to aerate well as the boil will drive off the O2 from the wort.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:31 AM   #5
rdkirk86
Recipes 

I can boil an entire 5.5 gallons. It takes way too long. Is there any benefit to being able to boil 5 gallons off water at a time instead of 3?

Old 08-13-2012, 02:34 AM   #6
rdkirk86
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
How much can you boil on your electric stove? Many people can't boil 5.5 gallons but some can. I'd suggest trying it with water, to see how much you can boil and how long it takes to get to a boil. If you can boil a whole volume of 6 gallons (down to 5 gallons after an hour), then you can do a full boil volume for your extract batches.
I can boil an entire 5.5 gallons. It takes way too long. Is there any benefit to being able to boil 5 gallons off water at a time instead of 3?

Old 08-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4278 Times on 3117 Posts
Likes Given: 824

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkirk86 View Post
Yes, in the final quality of the beer. I'd say boil as much as you possibly can, and the beer will be better for it. Even if you boil 4.5 gallons, that will make the beer less "cooked" tasting due to less maillard reactions.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
billf2112
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Eventually you will get off of the stove and buy a burner. I did, talk about speeding up the process, no more putting the pot over 2 electric burners to get a good boil. You have a pot that can handle 5.5 to 6 gallon full boils and didn't waste money on the small pot.

Bill from Pa

On Deck: Irish Stout,
Primary: Pumpkin Ale
Secondary: Empty
Completed: Red, Wit and Blue, Irish Stout, Red Ale, German Style Amber Lager, All Grain Brews: Irish Red Ale, American Stout, Honey Weizen

Quick Reply