Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 5 Gallon in Secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2012, 12:42 AM   #1
skyace00
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 5 Gallon in Secondary

My first 5 gallon batch has been in the secondary for a week, the fermenting has dropped alot. The Airlock may burp once every few minutes. Should I wait till it has completely stopped before bottling? Also I added Bananas when i racked it to the secondary, that seems to be still floating at the top should it all fall?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 12:47 AM   #2
dbreienrk1
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

What do you mean "dropped a lot?" Are you referring to the krausen? The bananas probably won't "fall" unless they were mashed up prior to adding. Airlock burp has nothing to do with the status of fermentation. Take gravity readings.

http://www.piedmontbrewingcompany.com/
http://koinz04.blogspot.com/

Primary - Nada
Secondary - Abandoned (for most brews)
Conditioning - Nada
Enjoying - Summit IPA, Cherry Belgian Dubbel, Otto von Bismarck Stout, Richmond Red Ale
Up Next - Belgian Tripel

Old 03-09-2012, 12:48 AM   #3
BLTalpos
Recipes 

Personally, I leave it in secondary for at least 4 weeks (usually about 8 weeks). I brewed an English Bitter that turned out a bit too carbonated due to too short a time in secondary.

Have some patience and have a beer.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:50 AM   #4
dbreienrk1
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTalpos View Post
I brewed an English Bitter that turned out a bit too carbonated due to too short a time in secondary.
This doesn't make sense to me. Can you please explain your statement?

Primary - Nada
Conditioning - Nada
Enjoying - Summit IPA, Cherry Belgian Dubbel, Otto von Bismarck Stout, Richmond Red Ale
Up Next - Belgian Tripel

Old 03-09-2012, 12:53 AM   #5
skyace00
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbreienrk1 View Post
What do you mean "dropped a lot?" Are you referring to the krausen? The bananas probably won't "fall" unless they were mashed up prior to adding. Airlock burp has nothing to do with the status of fermentation. Take gravity readings.
The frequency of the bubbling in the airlock

Old 03-09-2012, 12:55 AM   #6
dbreienrk1
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyace00 View Post
The frequency of the bubbling in the airlock
Right, I get that the airlock bubbles, but do you have a magical way to convert airlock bubbles into gravity readings? If you do I'm all ears...

Primary - Nada
Conditioning - Nada
Up Next - Belgian Tripel

Old 03-09-2012, 01:10 AM   #7
skyace00
Recipes 

I have not taken a reading I will have to get back...

Old 03-09-2012, 01:33 AM   #8
BLTalpos
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbreienrk1

This doesn't make sense to me. Can you please explain your statement?
I left the beer in secondary for only 3-4 weeks. When I bottled, I used a very small amount of sugar to prime. The bottles were foaming over when opened and you could taste a bit too much carbonation. I knew it wasn't from the bottling sugar, so I asked a brewer friend. Apparently if you don't leave beers in secondary (or primary for that matter) for long enough the extra fermentable sugar can over carbonate the bottles after time sealed in the bottle. In the case of adding fruit to the secondary, this is especially relevant.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:40 AM   #9
dbreienrk1
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTalpos View Post
I left the beer in secondary for only 3-4 weeks. When I bottled, I used a very small amount of sugar to prime. The bottles were foaming over when opened and you could taste a bit too much carbonation. I knew it wasn't from the bottling sugar, so I asked a brewer friend. Apparently if you don't leave beers in secondary (or primary for that matter) for long enough the extra fermentable sugar can over carbonate the bottles after time sealed in the bottle. In the case of adding fruit to the secondary, this is especially relevant.
Once again this doesn't make any sense to me. Primary fermentation is when almost all of the available sugars are convertered to alcohol and this is achieved within the first 3 to 7 days. If you left a beer in the secondary for four weeks, i can almost guarantee your over-carbonation had nothing to do with too short of a time in the secondary. What was the OG of the beer your are referring to?

Primary - Nada
Conditioning - Nada
Up Next - Belgian Tripel

Old 03-09-2012, 01:54 AM   #10
BLTalpos
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbreienrk1

Once again this doesn't make any sense to me. Primary fermentation is when almost all of the available sugars are convertered to alcohol and this is achieved within the first 3 to 7 days. If you left a beer in the secondary for four weeks, i can almost guarantee your over-carbonation had nothing to do with too short of a time in the secondary. What was the OG of the beer your are referring to?
I'll have to look it up in my brewbook, it was about a year ago when I was just starting out. I'll also ask my friend what he was talking about in case I totally misinterpreted the meaning of what he was saying. Since I've started leaving my beers in secondary much longer, I have had great carbonation and no problems.

Quick Reply