Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 5 gallon bucket question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2012, 03:34 AM   #1
A-Juice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Default 5 gallon bucket question

OK. so i am a brand new aspiring brewer. I am doing research and acquiring equipment and hope to start brewing in the near future. I have some friends in the hobby and am excited to start.

I came across two 5 gallon food grade buckets with lids from a restaurant and cleaned them out. i am planning on buying 5 gallon batch recipie ingredient kits. At some point, i was thinking about having multiple fermentations going on at once but initially it will be one at a time. I also have a 7 gallon bucket with a spigot and two 6 gallon carboys.

so here is my question - is there a use for the 5 gallon buckets as fermentors? the only solution I have thought of so far is to mix a 20 gallon batch and put it in four 5 gallon buckets. but that probably wont work because i probably need to leave some headroom. could I split a 5 gallon batch in 2.5 gallon parts and ferment in the two 5 gallon buckets or would that be too much head/air space?

i suppose I could mix 4 gallon batches and leave 1 gallon of head space. Or mix 20 gallons and ferment in five 5 gallon buckets each with 4 gallons of wort and 1 gallon of head space.

somebody point me in the right direction on how to use these 5 gallon buckets.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2012, 03:37 AM   #2
TwoGunz
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

You can use them, just leave about 1/2 to 1 gallon of headspace and if you make a big beer use a blowoff tube

Old 05-22-2012, 03:41 AM   #3
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1105 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoGunz View Post
You can use them, just leave about 1/2 to 1 gallon of headspace and if you make a big beer use a blowoff tube
+1, 5 gallon buckets should be just fine for 4 gallon batches.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 05-22-2012, 04:33 AM   #4
Fizzycist
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I'd use the carboys first with a blow off tube in case of high kreusen and save the buckets for secondary, side projects, bottling, etc.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:43 AM   #5
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts

Similar conundrum here with some carboys i bought at a yard sale that turn out to be 4.75G in size. Clearly marked 18L. Depending on how well i calibrated my old empty vinegar jug, the 5G mark is either half way up the neck or a few tablespoons on the floor.

I'll find a use for 'em i guess. But since my primaries are 6g i shoot for 5.5g batches, and bottle a sixpack before filling the keg.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
A-Juice
Recipes 

So based on these responses and some searching through old posts, I think the best use of the 5 gallon buckets would be as bottling buckets when doing 5 gallon batches.

For me personally, that would allow me to ferment in my other 3 vessels (two 6 gal carboys and a 7 gallon bucket w/ spigot).

I assume that a 5 gallon batch would fit in the 5 gallon bottling bucket along with the necessary primer on bottling day. If it doesnt fit entirely, could I fill it and start bottling and then add the remainder and finish bottling? Do you think this would cause any problems? And I think I could add a spigot to the 5 gallon bucket easy enough.

The other reasonable uses would be to ferment a 4 gallon batch (dont want to do this with a 5 gallon recipie kit) or to split a 5 gallon batch in half for fermenting which doesnt seem to be problematic according to other posts I have read. I could also use one bucket for a sanitizer reservoir which probably doesnt require food grade plastic but couldnt hurt.

Thanks to all for a great forum.

Last edited by A-Juice; 05-22-2012 at 06:24 PM.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1105 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 1234

I use a 5 gallon bucket for bottling, drilled a 1" hole and installed a spigot. Super easy. They actually hold a little more than 5 gallons so you shouldn't have any problems.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Quick Reply