Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 5 gallon bottled water jug as fermenter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
chungking
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Default 5 gallon bottled water jug as fermenter?

I'm sure this has been asked many times, but can you use a typical 5 gallon water bottle as a fermenter, or at least a secondary? Like the kind from a water dispenser? Just curious what kind of mods needs to be made...

I'm looking for a cheap secondary.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Many of the plastics used for these water bottles do transfer some O2 through the material which won't harm water but could affect your beer. Thus, depending on how long the beer is in this bottle it might not be a good idea. These bottles may also be very difficult to clean properly compared to using a traditional bucket. I would recommend against using one fom my own brewing experience.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 10-28-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
chungking
Recipes 

Ok glad I asked. I saw nothing wrong with using one. I guess a glass carboy is the best for a secondary. Arent plastic buckets bad as secondary's, since buckets expose too much surface area to air?

How are the better bottles?

Old 10-28-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
Schumed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Look on the bottom if its #1 plastic it's perfectly safe...I use them all the time. #1 PET is what better bottles are made of

Saying that most the water bottles I see are usually #7 plastic stay away from those...

"To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems,"

Old 10-28-2012, 10:27 PM   #5
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Glass carboys are probably the best to use for long term secondary vessels followed by using Better bottles. Standard fermenting buckets are not ideal for doing secondaries.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 10-28-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 772 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 263

I have one, I've used it......twice as secondary when adding fruit and once for primary when I wanted a small batch and my other primaries were full. That make 3 times I've used it in 4 years of brewing....maybe not my best investment. For only a few dollars more I could have gotten another bucket fermenter. I've quit trying to secondary and do it all in the primary now so that bottle just sits taking up space. Shucks, at least my buckets will stack.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #7
chungking
Recipes 

Well, I've been wanting to make a coffee stout, and the directions say to add the brewed coffee when you rack to secondary. I guess I could add straight to primary after fermentation is done, but would it get mixed well enough? Or can I add it at bottling time?

Quick Reply