Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 5 gallon batch + 5 gallon primary fermenter = good

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 05:57 PM   #11
Loup
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon567 View Post
Is there any concern with too large of a fermenting vessel?
According to the guy at my LHBS, having a lot of head space leaves a lot of air that bacteria could be hanging out in and the bacteria could possibly overpower the yeast, but he really didn't seem too concerned about it himself.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2008, 06:19 PM   #12
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loup View Post
According to the guy at my LHBS, having a lot of head space leaves a lot of air that bacteria could be hanging out in and the bacteria could possibly overpower the yeast, but he really didn't seem too concerned about it himself.
This is one of those brewing "myths" or errors that keeps getting perpetuated over and over as canon, with little basis of fact, because;

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerthirty View Post
as soon as fermentation begins so does production of CO2. CO2 being heavier than O2 will form a protective cap over your brew. As to airs other major component nitrogen, it is an inert gas and will have no effect either way.
And, if the CO2 has built up enough to be coming out of our airlock (or the lid seal or the grommet) then the heavier CO2 would have effectively vented or voided out any air in the headspace. It's the same reason we fill from the bottom to the top with our bottle fillers, and leave the cap on loosely before crimping it, to allow the CO2 to push out any air in the bottles....

Or that's what I've always believed.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-30-2008, 09:26 AM   #13
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The reason we fill the bottles from the bottom is to help prevent oxidation from splashing, and also to keep from getting the bottles full of head. Fermented beer has a lot of CO2 in suspension, even after racking it and it'll bubble over with glee harder than a stadium full of tweens at a Hannah Montana concert.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 07-30-2008, 11:45 AM   #14
noisy123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTOJ View Post
The reason we fill the bottles from the bottom is to help prevent oxidation from splashing, and also to keep from getting the bottles full of head.
Yeah, you really get the best of both worlds with that. Sorry, I was subjected
to a lot of Mylee this weekend.

Quick Reply