Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 5 gallon batch in 15 gallon conical

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #1
rizziot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 5 gallon batch in 15 gallon conical

I have an opportunity to buy a 15 gallon minibrew (plastic) conical from a friend for pretty cheap. I am new to this and was curious if a 15 is a good size for all batch sizes? To me it seemed like a good deal as it should grow with me if I end up scaling into larger batches.

Thanks for any input!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #2
zaireeka
Recipes 

It will work well as a primary fermentor on a 5g batch. You'll need a secondary fermentor though that leaves as little airspace as possible. It will certainly come in handy if you start brewing 15g batches as you would then not have to do a secondary transfer.

Brew blog: Daniel's Home Brew
Beer Shots:http://www.flickr.com/photos/97438744@N07/
Primary: Lemongrass Witbier, Sweet Cherry Cider, Belgian Cider (D-90 Candi Syrup & Witbier Yeast)
Secondary: Barleywine (Marris Otter, CaraRed & Vienna and 100% Fuggels Hops)
Bottled: Hibiscus Witbier, Coffee Porter, Pinot Noir

Old 11-27-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
evandena
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaireeka View Post
It will work well as a primary fermentor on a 5g batch. You'll need a secondary fermentor though that leaves as little airspace as possible. It will certainly come in handy if you start brewing 15g batches as you would then not have to do a secondary transfer.
You don't need to secondary with a conical. The valve at the bottom can be used to dump the yeast and trub out. You also don't have to worry about headspace, as there will be a co2 layer over the wort.

So to answer the OP's question, yes a 15 gallon conical will be fine for 5 gallon batches.

My YouTube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/evandena/videos

Old 11-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
Doctor_Wily
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizziot View Post
I have an opportunity to buy a 15 gallon minibrew (plastic) conical from a friend for pretty cheap. I am new to this and was curious if a 15 is a good size for all batch sizes? To me it seemed like a good deal as it should grow with me if I end up scaling into larger batches.

Thanks for any input!
Luckehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I'm looking to snag a conical in the future once I have a bit more room.
Latium Talk- A site dedicated to discussion of Latium cryptocurrency. 5 free Latium coin with sign up!

~~Updated Jul 08 ~~

Old 11-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
rizziot
Recipes 

Thanks for all the input I got the 15 AND a smaller 7.9 speidel (just in case)!

Quick Reply