Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 5 gal stockpot in beginners kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2010, 07:51 PM   #1
eighteez
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 5 gal stockpot in beginners kit?

We've all seen the kits at midwest brewing supplies.

I'm assuming that the ingredients they give you there are for a batch that is equal to the 30 bottles they say you'll need... 2.8 gallons.

Yet all the recipe kits are saying they are for 5 gal batches. 54 bottles...

So.....

I need to scrap the 5 gal stainless steel pot in the kit and get a 7 gal dont I?

And 30 more bottles? (60 total)

Anything else that I'll need right away?

(here is the kit I am eyeballing - http://www.midwestsupplies.com/every...ent-kit-2.html )

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2010, 08:35 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 427 Times on 327 Posts
Likes Given: 660

The kit comes with 2 cases of bottles. Case = 48 bottles @ 12 oz. = 4.5 Gallons.

I usually get 2 cases and a sixer out of my '5' gallon batches. So, you'll need to come up with 6 more bottles....(My bottles were all free, I just had to pay for the beer in them!!). As far as the pot goes, for doing extract brews you only need a pot that can boil around 3 gallons minimum. A 'full boil' (5 gallons) is better but not a necessity. A full boil will require a bigger pot, like 7-8 gallons or so. That kit looks fine for starters. Eventually you'll want to grow your brewery with a wort chiller and other items...but for a starter it's fine. You'll find that even if/when you progress to all grain or even kegging, you'll still use the items from the kit. I do love the quote at the bottom:

"Well, almost everything - You'll actually need about 6 more empty beer bottles. We figure if you'd have trouble emptying 6 beer bottles, you should consider a different hobby."

Old 07-23-2010, 08:42 PM   #3
eighteez
Recipes 

so when I buy kits that say they are for 5 gallons, a 5 gallon pot is enough? That doesnt sound right...

Old 07-23-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
KevinW
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If doing extract batches you only boil about 3 gallons of wort then top off to make 5 gallons(has something to do with getting the most out of your hops I believe).
If doing a full boil then you need more than a 5 gallon pot due to the full "roiling" boil that is needed to help prevent boil overs.
If doing all-grain then you will end up with about 6 or 7 gallons of wort from the sparge that will boil down to about 5 or 5.5 gallons.
Just my humble opinion though.

“I don't drink beer all the time but I can drink (a) beer anytime" - Me

Old 07-23-2010, 08:51 PM   #5
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

If you're only going to do a partial boil then a five gallon pot works fine.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 07-23-2010, 08:52 PM   #6
eighteez
Recipes 

ahhhh ha! You arent boiling all the water at once for extract batches...

That's what I was missing.

So if the goal is grain. A 9 gal kettle would serve me well. For extracts, the 5 gal will do.

Got it!

Old 07-23-2010, 08:55 PM   #7
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Well, you can boil all the water for an extract batch if you have the ability. I often do, but, when I don't want to haul out the propane burner and big kettle I revert back to my five gallon kettle on the stove top and it still makes pretty good beer.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 07-23-2010, 08:59 PM   #8
eighteez
Recipes 

great info guys, thanks!

I just read about Turkey Fryers....

30 quart with burner for $59? http://www.turkey-fryers-online.com/...rkey_fryer.htm

Now this looks like a great solution!!!!!

Old 07-23-2010, 09:02 PM   #9
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Yep, turkey fryers are a popular alternative for a lot of brewers.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:05 PM   #10
KevinW
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eighteez View Post
great info guys, thanks!

I just read about Turkey Fryers....

30 quart with burner for $59? http://www.turkey-fryers-online.com/...rkey_fryer.htm

Now this looks like a great solution!!!!!
+1 on this.
I bought a 13 gallon aluminum(yes ALUMINUM) converted it with fittings from bargainfittings(ball valve and sight glass) all for about $65, propane burner $50 and bring about 7.5 gallons to a boil in ~20 minutes.

“I don't drink beer all the time but I can drink (a) beer anytime" - Me

Quick Reply