Last days to enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 5 gal boil effect on fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2009, 08:59 PM   #1
mparmer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default 5 gal boil effect on fermentation

Did my first 2 batches yesterday via turkey fryer and full 5 gal boils. Now today, I have the most beautiful vigorous fermentations going yet. On the stout, I've had to rig up a blowoff hose and that thing is going crazy. Both are extract batches a blond ale that I pitched Coopers dry (15 gr) and the stout pitched with dry s-04. Just wondering, I've read that the 5 gal boil would help with hop utilization and elimination of the "extract wang taste" but had not heard it would have such an effect on the fermentation. I suppose these batches would have done just as well doing my old partial boils but I'm just curious if anyone else has ever noticed a difference like this. I did cool down using a immersion chiller (which is new to my processes, in the past I did an ice bath in the kitchen sink) and otherwise aerated by pouring back and forth between buckets like always. Anyways, thanks for your comments!!

Having trouble remembering life before homebrewing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2009, 10:01 PM   #2
pilotdane
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What is your fermentation temperature? A few degrees can have a big affect on how fast and furious yeast work.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:38 PM   #3
mparmer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

68 degrees, same as my previous batches

Having trouble remembering life before homebrewing.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:42 PM   #4
skyzo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thats close to perfect temperature. I usually start off at about 68, lower to 64 once fermentation is going happily, and finish off at around 68 again. I almost always have to use a blow off tube (5 gallon carboys suck)

Quick Reply