Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 5 gal batch boiled down to 3 gal

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013, 01:25 AM   #1
arborman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default 5 gal batch boiled down to 3 gal

So, had kinda a bad brew day. In a nut shell, my pre boil gravity came in way low, and I had to compensate by a longer boil. I went into my fermentor with just about 3 gallons. Do I need to be concerned with all the dead space in the FV? And, I was still about 10 points off from my OG.

I'm amazed that grain grinding can have such a big impact on efficiency.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 02:59 AM   #2
masskrug
Shooting for 80%
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Did you grind the grains yourself?

What was your efficiency %?

What does your MLT look like?

How long was the boil?

What was the grain bill?

The head space should not be an issue, but what happened?

Old 02-24-2013, 04:36 AM   #3
arborman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by masskrug View Post
Did you grind the grains yourself?

What was your efficiency %?

What does your MLT look like?

How long was the boil?

What was the grain bill?

The head space should not be an issue, but what happened?

I didn't grind the grains, they came pre ground from Northern Brew. My mash tun is a 10 gallon igloo cooler with a stainless steel hose for my filter.

Well, the boil was supposed to have been 60 min, but I boiled for 110 min.

Grain bill was:

11 lbs. Rahr 2-Row
1 lbs. Briess Caramel 40--
0.75 oz. Centennial (60 min)
-- 1 oz. Centennial (20 min)
-- 2 oz. Centennial (5 min)

My mash went PERFECT! I held it at 152 for the full 60 min. I vorlofed, mashed out, and did a one step batch sparge with 3.25 gallons. I mixed well before I drained.

I took my Preboil reading, and it came out to 1.034, and was supposed to have been 1.050. Sooooo, I panicked and decided to boil longer, and add a pound of DME. I was supposed to wrap up at 1.064, but came in at 1.055. And, only 3 gallons in the fermentor. I cannot believe just a poor grind is to blame? What else did I do wrong here? This is only my second all grain batch, so I am really not sure what I did or didnt do. I do know that I did a good job on the mash temps. I pretty much went with what beersmith told me to do, from water volumes to temps.

Well, at least I have 3 gallons... I just hope its not over hopped. I did not adjust the hops at all to compensate for the boil off. Good thing Im a hop head I guess. Any suggestions as to what may have gone wrong and what I can do to dial this in any better next time? I do know that I am going to buy a grain mill.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:57 AM   #4
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Is the 1.034 with the temperature adjustment?

What was the temp of the wort when you took the reading ?

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

"The nations of the West also have their own intoxicant, made from grain soaked in water...Alas, what wonderful ingenuity vice possesses! A method has actually been discovered for making even water intoxicated."
- Pliny the Elder
cool63 Likes This 
Old 02-24-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
arborman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpottedDogBrewing
Is the 1.034 with the temperature adjustment?

What was the temp of the wort when you took the reading ?
I used a refractometer that has auto temp adjust, so I did not make any adjustments. The temp was prob around 140-145

Old 02-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
arborman
Recipes 

Oh, man! So, I just read the fine print on my refractometer. It has auto temp compensation from 0-30 degrees Celsius. I did my measurement at around 140-145 Fahrenheit, which is 63 Celsius.. Not sure what kind of beer I just made, but I'm guessing a pretty strong IPA? I'll see what the temp settings are for and how to compensate. What an idiot I am!!!

Old 02-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #7
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 379 Times on 341 Posts
Likes Given: 1219

You can always thin it down to a more reasonable OG, or keep closer as is and enjoy a stronger beer. As long as your yeast hasn't gone into sugar shock, you should be fine.

No need to worry about head space in a primary. But make sure fermentation starts soon, though.

Did you take a close look at the grist and how it was milled? There are some horror stories circling here lately on poor grinds from mail-order vendors.

Preparing: Framboise Clone | Arrogant Bastard Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Sours
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
Aging: Old Treacle Mine ==> Oud Bruin
On tap: Belgian Wit {1st place @FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: 2.3'd | ESB | Sketchy Bastard | Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Old 02-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #8
arborman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandLizard
You can always thin it down to a more reasonable OG, or keep closer as is and enjoy a stronger beer. As long as your yeast hasn't gone into sugar shock, you should be fine.

No need to worry about head space in a primary. But make sure fermentation starts soon, though.

Did you take a close look at the grist and how it was milled? There are some horror stories circling here lately on poor grinds from mail-order vendors.
Fermentation is going off the hook right now. I've got a 4" layer of krausen. It was a bout a 6 hr lag time. Now I'm guessing.....although the temp of my pre boil wort was 145, I imagine the drops came down in temp rather quickly and did give me an accurate reading. Guess I should have done a gravity check with my hydrometer

Old 02-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #9
arborman
Recipes 

I'm also thinking I jumped into all grain too quickly. I've only got 4 extract batches, now the two all grains under my belt. I should probably dial in and figure out my equipment and boil off rates a bit better on another batch or two of extract. I also came in way low on my other all grain, and that one was checked with a hydrometer.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:02 PM   #10
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Liked 791 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 389

This is why I don't bother with readings, I'd probably end up reading them wrong anyway. I just like to get it to the right consistency and sweetness, does it look weak, does it taste weak? If so, add more stuff or like you did, boil off. Too thick/too strong? Add some water. I know for some it's an exact science, but it doesn't have to be that difficult.

Quick Reply