Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 5 or 6 Gal Carboy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2011, 12:49 AM   #11
RugenBrau
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'll add my 2 cents, I've got a few 5 gallon carboys and when you get a batch that calls for 5.5 you are going to be short. You can fit 5 or 5.5 in a 6 gallon carboy but you can't put 6 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy. Go BIG

"Your HYDROMETER is the only BEST indicator of fermentation activity. Nothing else is accurate or consistent"...Revvy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 12:56 AM   #12
goose1873
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I use all 6 gallon glass carboys and put them in milk creates (for safety and simplicity). Milk creates make it very easy to lower into fermentation chamber. Some people don't like glass so to each their own. I love it and wouldn't do it any other way. if you do get glass trust me on the milk creates...

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
----Frank Zappa

Old 08-21-2011, 01:07 AM   #13
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 568 Times on 483 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22lude View Post
You want less head room when using secondary so you have as little O2 as possible.

I ran a thread asking about the head space in a 6 gallon Better Bottle for secondary and the consensus was that co2 is still being produced and will displace any o2 in the headspace. I have added another 6 gallon BB and will now mostly skip the secondary unless aging or dry hopping.

The nice thing about carboys is you can see the fermentation and you can see the trub so when you rack you know where the cane should go.

My kit from NB gave the option of glass or Better Bottles. I was not at all interested in glass. I like the BB, for the above reasons, but would consider buckets.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:15 AM   #14
goose1873
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

also i never use a secondary anymore. ever. i see no need.

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
----Frank Zappa

Old 08-21-2011, 03:19 AM   #15
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1711 Times on 1600 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose1873
I use all 6 gallon glass carboys and put them in milk creates (for safety and simplicity). Milk creates make it very easy to lower into fermentation chamber. Some people don't like glass so to each their own. I love it and wouldn't do it any other way. if you do get glass trust me on the milk creates...
5.5gal in a 6gal is still REALLY pushing it. Heck, even 5gal can be a bit much. There's really no reason IMO not to go for the 6.5gal.carboys.

As for carrying the carboy around, you definitely need SOMETHING if you're using glass. They're heavy, awkward, and sometimes even slippery, and dropping all that glass can actually be VERY dangerous. Milk crates work alright, but I prefer not to compromise when it comes to safety, and so I always recommend using something like a BrewHauler - those things are just fantastic.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:45 PM   #16
goose1873
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I use 6g b/c they work fine and the winery down the road sells them for under $30.

never had any issues with milk creates...also all my carboys are in a separate milk creates so I don't need to do anything but pick them up. I agree the brewHauler makes them easier to carry but they are more work and imo no safer. If/when the weight becomes a problem (and it will eventually), I will definitely be purchasing a Hauler.

----Frank Zappa

Old 08-21-2011, 03:02 PM   #17
TromboneGuy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

First, the BrewHauler is awesome. If you use carboys, I suggest getting one.

Second, I started with a Cooper's starter kit that my girlfriend bought for me. The big plastic fermenter that comes with that kit is great. Maybe not as easy to clean as a bucket, but easy to handle, and enough room even for a 6.5 gallon batch plus headspace.

I like using a secondary, because moving my brew from primary to secondary because it lets me get another batch started while the previous batch gets another week or two to sit before bottling. At the rate I drink, that's all the pipeline I need. And though I'm a relative n00b, I've never had a problem with oxidation from racking to secondary.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:12 PM   #18
Kayos
disclaimers are sissy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Couple of things......

I like the buckets if I am washing or harvesting yeast from fermenter.
I like better bottles over glass every time - don't forget glass can break. Especially if you use a pool to help cool (pre-chiller). Don't ask how I know this.
Get something to carry it with. I like the handles, just carry it about 3 inches off the ground.
No need to secondary anymore, so get the 6g size.

Primary #2: ESB
Big Blind: Pucker Bitter
Small Blind:
Tasty Remembrances: White 'N Nerdy, Dynamite Red (Hop bursted), APA, The Bonaduce (irish Red), runners stout, ridgeback brown,

from my big ass computer sitting on my floor

Old 08-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #19
goose1873
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

arggg...i agree brewhauler is awesome...but i always have 6+ full carboys and not having to move my hauler from one to another to another is easier (4 me). I have a brewhauler (and never use it except for bringing cider home from the mill)...to each their own.

i also only make 5 to 5.5g gallon batch b/c i keg everything and kegs hold 5g....

----Frank Zappa

Quick Reply