4th Batch Tomorrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inkman15

Reaction score
Looking to throw together a batch tomorrow. Fortunately, my basement stays pretty cool, roughly 7 degrees colder than my 1st floor. Currently, it's about 65 degrees down there. Think I'll be ok fermenting anything of my choice?

Yeah, I would think so. For whatever yeast strain you want to use, check the optimum fermentation range.

You can also get some additional benefit from "swamp cooling" your fermenter. Get a Rubbermaid rope handled tub, or similar large, inexpensive plastic container. Put your fermenter in it and fill with water to the level of the beer inside. You can also aim a fan at the water and/or put an old t-shirt or towel over the rest of the fermenter to wick water up.

Check your weather report for the next 10 days and plan accordingly. I've had experience with English yeast flocculating out pretty quickly in cooler temps, compared to CalAle yeast that slows, but gets going easily when you warm it up.

Remember that while the vigorous fermentation creates a lot if internal heat, once it slows down the temp will drop.

Back