Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 4 month secondary on a wheat ale?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2014, 11:04 AM   #1
timrox1212
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 27 Posts

Default 4 month secondary on a wheat ale?

So I recently learned a coworker of mine brews. We got talking about brewing and he said he just brewed a wheat beer that will be ready in April. Is this odd? I asked him the recipe and it isn't anything crazy. 5.5% hefe with blood oranges added in the secondary. He said he lets all of his beers sit in primary for 1 month and secondary for 3. This just seems unneeded for 5.5% heffe's and light pale ales? Or am I wrong?

Sent from my iPhone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2014, 11:08 AM   #2
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

It probably won't hurt it. I've let beers go that long in the primary with no ill effects. He probably wants it to go that long to help settle out. Where it would be detrimental would be in beers where fresh hops aroma and flavors are very important. I wouldn't let an IPA go that long but it won't hurt some beers to have a nice long fermentation. He should consider using lager techniques.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:07 PM   #3
ob_1jr
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed a raspberry wheat last winter that sat almost a month in the primary and just over 4 months in the secondary (life got busy and I was using my friend's equipment at his house). It turned out pretty awesome. I drank the last one on christmas eve after brewing my first batch with my own equipment.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:20 PM   #4
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiptasia View Post
It probably won't hurt it. I've let beers go that long in the primary with no ill effects. He probably wants it to go that long to help settle out. Where it would be detrimental would be in beers where fresh hops aroma and flavors are very important. I wouldn't let an IPA go that long but it won't hurt some beers to have a nice long fermentation. He should consider using lager techniques.
Ehh, except in this case its a Hefe and waiting that long as you said will clear the beer...aka not a Hefe anymore.

Wheat beers and IPA's are the ones that should be drank almost immediately, a Hefe i had laying around just got worse over time..all the nice clove and banana flavors started to fade and it just tasted like mildly flavored water after 6 months when i found a bottle lol.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:23 PM   #5
LovesIPA
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Completely unnecessary. I wonder how much money he spends on carboys and buckets.

Immature: A word boring people use to describe fun people

Quick Reply