Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 4 Liters for Yeast Starter?? Is this right?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #11
Geordan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

It's important to note that many lager yeasts are less floculent than ale strains, and I suspect that even having sit at 12 hours at room temperature, you will be dumping out lots of viable cells in the 'spent wort' you're decanting. Having looked in to starters for lagers specifically recently, I would cold crash the starter in the fridge for at least 72 hours before decanting or pitch the whole starter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #12
PJoyce85
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just stick with the 3 liters. Pitch the yeast and let them do their work. What is the OG of the starter wort?

It is recommended that you try to ferment your starter at the same temp you plan on doing your primary. This is particularly important for lager yeast as you don't want to be pitching a stressed colony from being outside of their normal range I'm sure there are many people who have done their starters at room temps with no problems, but it makes sense when you think about it.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:40 PM   #13
Mofoa
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordan View Post
It's important to note that many lager yeasts are less floculent than ale strains, and I suspect that even having sit at 12 hours at room temperature, you will be dumping out lots of viable cells in the 'spent wort' you're decanting. Having looked in to starters for lagers specifically recently, I would cold crash the starter in the fridge for at least 72 hours before decanting or pitch the whole starter.
Good point. My LHBS also recommended 3 days for the starter to work. Sounds like we have a consensus on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJoyce85 View Post
Just stick with the 3 liters. Pitch the yeast and let them do their work. What is the OG of the starter wort?

It is recommended that you try to ferment your starter at the same temp you plan on doing your primary. This is particularly important for lager yeast as you don't want to be pitching a stressed colony from being outside of their normal range I'm sure there are many people who have done their starters at room temps with no problems, but it makes sense when you think about it.
I see what you're saying. In that case, I'll be moving the starter into the garage to bring down the temperature to fermenting level for the next 36 hours, followed by a cold crash in fridge for last 12 hours to let the yeast settle--then decant, then pitch.

Shoot. Forgot to take the OG reading. Will look into this.

Thank you very much for your guidance and opinions guys. Crossing my fingers.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:54 PM   #14
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 719 Times on 530 Posts
Likes Given: 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mofoa View Post
I'll be moving the starter into the garage to bring down the temperature to fermenting level for the next 36 hours, followed by a cold crash in fridge for last 12 hours to let the yeast settle--then decant, then pitch.

Shoot. Forgot to take the OG reading. Will look into this.
wait, you forgot to take an OG reading of the starter or of your wort? in other words, is your wort boiled and ready for the yeast? if so, you can't wait 36+ hours for the yeast to drop out. you need to get yeast in there ASAP, before other bugs in the air take over.

if i'm brewing on saturday, i'll start my yeast starter on monday or tuesday - that gives me enough time to let the starter run its course and to cold-crash it in time for a saturday afternoon pitch.

Drinking: galaxy/conan IPA, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 01-12-2013, 12:45 AM   #15
Mofoa
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
wait, you forgot to take an OG reading of the starter or of your wort? in other words, is your wort boiled and ready for the yeast? if so, you can't wait 36+ hours for the yeast to drop out. you need to get yeast in there ASAP, before other bugs in the air take over.

if i'm brewing on saturday, i'll start my yeast starter on monday or tuesday - that gives me enough time to let the starter run its course and to cold-crash it in time for a saturday afternoon pitch.
Forgot to take a reading of the starter. I pitched the yeast once the wort had cooled down from ice bath, then topped with aluminum foil. That was about 20 hours ago (Jan 10th evening).

Old 01-12-2013, 01:13 AM   #16
overflow
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Forgot to take a reading of the starter. I pitched the yeast once the wort had cooled down from ice bath, then topped with aluminum foil. That was about 20 hours ago (Jan 10th evening).
Not to add confusion, but I've always shaken the starter up and pitched the entire thing. Never taken an OG reading of the starter either. No problems in over 15 years of brewing.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:44 AM   #17
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Do 1L then decant that off and pitch the slurry into 3L. Then, when it comes time to pitch, decant off the majority of the 3L and pitch the slurry of that into you wort.

Kegged and Carbing: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Pre-prohibition Lager

Old 01-12-2013, 04:56 AM   #18
PJoyce85
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by overflow

Not to add confusion, but I've always shaken the starter up and pitched the entire thing. Never taken an OG reading of the starter either. No problems in over 15 years of brewing.
It's not a problem to pitch the entire thing if it is a smaller starter. I have pitched 600ml before with no issues but 3l in a 5 gallon batch is too much. You are adding almost 25% of the volume of the beer in spent starter wort.

The Brew Strong guys say that you should not be adding any more starter wort than 5% of the volume of the main wort.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:38 PM   #19
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 719 Times on 530 Posts
Likes Given: 277

Quote:
Forgot to take a reading of the starter.
eh, don't worry about it. hopefully when you made your starter you measured the DMA and the water. it's pretty hard to mess that up, your gravity can be safely assumed. also, the gravity of a starter isn't critical. you want it around 1.035-1.040 but a little more or a little less isn't going to hurt. a definite case of RDWHAHB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overflow View Post
i've always cold-crashed for 24-48 hours and poured off the spent beer. the stuff is going to be highly oxidize, don't want none of that in my finished product.

Drinking: galaxy/conan IPA, a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 01-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #20
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 259 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Smack pack is less than 10 days old--so some very fresh stuff.
Is that based on the date stamped on the pack or when you smacked it? Just for info, if you ever use White Labs yeast, the manufacture date is 4 months PRIOR to the date stamped on the tube.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Sour Saison, Pale Ale, Aggie Ale
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck: Firestone DBA, De Koninck Blonde
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Quick Reply