New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 4 Liters for Yeast Starter?? Is this right?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
Mofoa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default 4 Liters for Yeast Starter?? Is this right?

This is the my first time making a yeast starter and I plan on brewing a Pilsner over the weekend.

After checking both mrmalty and yeastcalc, it's telling me I need roughly 4.4-4.4 of yeast starter with one smack pack.

Here is my possible issue right now, since I am new to the tools referenced above, I wasn't 100% sure how to use the tool, and after playing around with it, I concluded that in order to get to around 350B yeast cells (as told my both tools), that I would need to triple my smack pack (100B cells) by making a 3L of starter--using 300 grams of DME and 3L of water for simplicity sake.

Today, I am back to playing with the tools and I "think" I need 4.2-4.4 Liters of starter using one smack pack. Does this sound right?

Using Wyeast 2278 (Czeck Pils) with an projected O.G. of 1.047.

Thanks in advance...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I came up with ~5L back dating the yeast a little bit on Mr. Malty (1.047 and 5.25 gal).

A couple of the other calculators suggest a step up starting with something like 1L then going to 2-3L.

Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Secondary: Russian Imperial Stout
Bottled: Waldo Lake Amber
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein
Drinking: Hank's Hefeweizen
Drinking: Maibock

"Charlie don't surf."

Old 01-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 396 Posts
Likes Given: 217

http://yeastcalc.com/ is a useful tool for calculating step-ups.

lagers need about twice the amount of yeast that ales do, so i'm not too surprised at that number.

on mrmalty, don't forget to choose the aeration method that you'll be using. if you have a stir-plate, the size of starter required will be smaller.

Drinking: a chocolate oatmeal stout, a belgian imperial stout, a Vertical Epic 09.09.09 clone
Fermenting: a split-batch belgian blond/saison
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured Saison, my "Wild Oats" brett/sour, and some other stuff i can't think of at the moment...
Up next: who knows. maybe providing links to recipes for the above beers.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:08 PM   #4
PJoyce85
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 58 Posts

That is totally possible depending on production date and assumed viability. Just make sure you don't pitch the entire starter into the wort!!

Old 01-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
fall-line
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 14

You may already know all this, but.. To elaborate on PJoyce85's comment (which is correct), after your starter has done it's job and you have a nice big yeast population, you'll want to let the yeast settle out to the bottom and then decant off the liquid above before pitching.

For example, if you are using a stir plate just shut it off 2-3 hours before you intend to pitch, and let the yeast settle. Discard the lighter liquid (it's weak beer) on top, and then swirl up the yeast slurry at the bottom to pitch.

It's often tempting when using only a 1L starer or so to pour in the whole thing.. Which is probably ok, but obviously that wouldn't be a good idea with 4L.

"Brewing beer is a fun and rewarding hobby. When you do good, you get beer. When you do bad, you get beer. It's a lot like rec league softball"
(source)

Building a home brewery (and garage) from the ground up

Old 01-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #6
fall-line
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Also, welcome to the forums. Good first post!

"Brewing beer is a fun and rewarding hobby. When you do good, you get beer. When you do bad, you get beer. It's a lot like rec league softball"
(source)

Old 01-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #7
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 396 Posts
Likes Given: 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall-line View Post
For example, if you are using a stir plate just shut it off 2-3 hours before you intend to pitch, and let the yeast settle. Discard the lighter liquid (it's weak beer) on top, and then swirl up the yeast slurry at the bottom to pitch.
i've never made a lager starter so maybe the yeast is more flocculent, but 2-3 hours doesn't seem like enough to get it to floc out. i find i have to cold-crash in the fridge for 24-48 hours before i get a good separation between beer and yeast sludge.

Drinking: a chocolate oatmeal stout, a belgian imperial stout, a Vertical Epic 09.09.09 clone
Fermenting: a split-batch belgian blond/saison
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured Saison, my "Wild Oats" brett/sour, and some other stuff i can't think of at the moment...
Up next: who knows. maybe providing links to recipes for the above beers.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
fall-line
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yeah you are right, thanks sweetcell. I've done pretty well with 'a few hours' but after re-considering I retract my earlier statement. Do this on the morning of brew day, or the night before and you should be good.

(source)

Old 01-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #9
PJoyce85
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 58 Posts

Just like Myth Busters:

*Warning: Scientific Content*

After 1-2 days, the starter should be finished. Once this is complete, turn off the stir plate (if you are using one). Let the yeast settle for about 12 hours. This will allow the yeast to build up their glycogen reserves. Place in the fridge and let the rest of the yeast fall out. Take out about a day before brewing and let warm. Decant and pitch. I have never had a yeast issue using that procedure

Old 01-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #10
Mofoa
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Thank you all for the multiple quick responses. Having never done a yeast starter before, I did review several "yeast starter" posts as well as viewed several other How To videos on YT. Good thing I came to this site as there were some good posts on what to do AFTER making the yeast starter--which is good because until today, I thought all I had to do was dump the entire mixture ( wort + yeast) into the fermentor. So thanks for validating that.

Given Ive' gone ahead and made the 3L of yeast starter last night based on my original assumptions--I see now that I forgot to mention that in original post--what's the recommended way to increase my total volume to 4L? Smack pack is less than 10 days old--so some very fresh stuff.

Quick Reply