4 hour boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

portjeffbrew

Reaction score
So lets just say that some "outside circumstances" took my boil from 1 hour to four hours. I added a 30 min hop addition and awoke 3 hours later. I picked up where I left off. I was brewing a Belgian triple with DME, LME, and some belgian candy. When I awoke I did everything as normal. Luckily it did not burn and I happened to start with 2.5 gallons of water. I was left with about 2 so my guess is that I boiled off about 1-1.5 off H20 after the ingredients were added. Thoughts?

Trippel are supposed to be very pale in color. I don't think yours will be very pale, but it will certainly be beer. What was your target OG and actual OG? I've lost a gallon more than I expected to boil off before. Shot for 5.25 gallons of beer at 1.065, ended up with 4.25 gallons of beer at 1.074. Beer still tastes great.

I put this beer tools using a Maibock I'm working. Here's how it compares

1 Hour Boil
og 1.070
fg 1.017
SRM 11.45
ABV 6.91
IBU's 24.13

4 Hour
og 1.096
FG 1.024
SRM 13.1
ABV 9.61
IBU 42.5

So greatly increased Bitterness, Higher ABV & Darker. BTW this is a partial boil extract.

It will be noticeably more bitter. Possibly 25% more bitter.
You will have more caramelized extract.
What is your recipe like?? Did you have all of your extract in that 2 gallons of water? I have never brewed one but a Tripel usually has a ton of extract right? Maybe I'm confused but only 2 gallons held 9+ pounds of extract? And that seems like some pretty high gravity wort.

I put this beer tools using a Maibock I'm working. Here's how it compares

1 Hour Boil
og 1.070
fg 1.017
SRM 11.45
ABV 6.91
IBU's 24.13

4 Hour
og 1.096
FG 1.024
SRM 13.1
ABV 9.61
IBU 42.5

So greatly increased Bitterness, Higher ABV & Darker. BTW this is a partial boil extract.

How would ABV change? It's the same amount of extract. The final volume after the boil is different but it will still be diluted to 5 gallons (or whatever the recipe calls for.)

My bad. I did not have the final volume locked. Changes to the srm are less no change to the gravity or ABV. Bitterness still increased by the same amount.

Should anyone care or read this thread again.....I just racked to secondary and the beer as is TASTES GREAT! Nothing like a tripple. Almost a Chocolate Stout clone with the same color. My guess is that I caramelized the malt with the overboil which gave the by-product of a chocolate taste. If this beer conditions even better than this I will have a real winner on my hands by pure accident! Rogue Chocolate or Mackesons definately come to mind. Good ABV at 9.6 and currently at 1.018. I'll keep you posted!

I suspect many great recipes were not of their original intention. Make notes of all you did...

Mackeson's triple stout is awsome. Good call.

Should anyone care or read this thread again.....I just racked to secondary and the beer as is TASTES GREAT! Nothing like a tripple. Almost a Chocolate Stout clone with the same color. My guess is that I caramelized the malt with the overboil which gave the by-product of a chocolate taste. If this beer conditions even better than this I will have a real winner on my hands by pure accident! Rogue Chocolate or Mackesons definately come to mind. Good ABV at 9.6 and currently at 1.018. I'll keep you posted!

:rolleyes: I don't believe you, you'll have to send me a sixer to convince me. :D

Latest posts

Back