Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 4.5 Gallon batches, does it matter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
BlueSunshine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default 4.5 Gallon batches, does it matter?

So for my last 2 batches, I've been using a 5 gallon carboy as my primary fermenter (I don't use a secondary). I've been topping them off with water just at the 4.5 gallon mark to make a little room for head space. I made the batches using recipes for 5 gallon batches. After losing some beer to blowoff and trub, I'm bottling a little over 4 gallons.

My question is, does it really matter that I'm using the amount the ingredients in a 5 gallon recipe for a batch that's under 5 gallons? Or should I just open my wallet and purchase a 6.5 gallon carboy the next time I'm at my LHBS?

Bottled: Three Pistols, Spaced Out Saison, Amarillo Armadillo
Conditioning:
Fermenting: GTFO Stout
Gone: Sheffield Pale Ale, Donut Shop Coffee Stout,Hop Rape Imperial IPA, Hooston's Irish Red Beer'd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2010, 03:52 PM   #2
Netflyer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 45

What matters is the gravity your are trying to achieve. If you dilute up to 5 gallons or don't dilute up your OG will change... it will be higher if you don't dilute and lower if you dilute however the recipes call for a specifiy OG and if you don't dilute you will not hit it. You would have a stronger beer, which isn't nec. a bad thing, just not exactly what the recipe intended.

Kegged:
RiClarke's Guinuess Clone w/da sour 6.4% ABV 1057 SG 1009 FG

Old 02-16-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4688 Times on 4344 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Matter? No, it's still beer.

A little stronger than intended but, still beer. Just don't compete with them unless you know for certain what has changed so you can choose the categories appropriately. Softwares help with this. Otherwise, just drink responsibly.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
BlueSunshine
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks for the responses. My coffee stout worked out very nicely since I didn't use the full 5 gallons of water, but for my future batches I'll make sure to add the proper amount so they're not as strong.

Bottled: Three Pistols, Spaced Out Saison, Amarillo Armadillo
Conditioning:
Fermenting: GTFO Stout
Gone: Sheffield Pale Ale, Donut Shop Coffee Stout,Hop Rape Imperial IPA, Hooston's Irish Red Beer'd

Quick Reply