Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 3rd Time Brewing, No Yeast Action

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2010, 07:47 PM   #11
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3488

Quote:
Originally Posted by oach View Post
Any other ideas? I am going to pick up a pack of yeast for sure on the way home tonight.
Statistically speaking, that mere act may mean you come home to a nice krausen already going. It's usually the case.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2010, 07:52 PM   #12
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3488

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertvrabel View Post
I'm not pro... but i've done 2 batches so far and I've seen active signs of fermentation within a couple of hours, definitely after 24 hours I see a lot. Maybe all brews are different... but I'm just giving you my experience on the two I've done so far!
Just because you may have never had something happen before on your beers, doesn't mean that the yeast are doing anything wrong. It just means that you haven't experienced one of the infinite NORMAL behaviors that living organisms, living wildcards, are capable of.

you can't compare one brew to another. No two fermentations are ever exactly the same.

When we are dealing with living creatures, there is a wild card factor in play..Just like with other animals, including humans...No two behave the same.

You can split a batch in half put them in 2 identical carboys, and pitch equal amounts of yeast from the same starter...and have them act completely differently...for some reason on a subatomic level...think about it...yeasties are small...1 degree difference in temp to us, could be a 50 degree difference to them...one fermenter can be a couple degrees warmer because it's closer to a vent all the way across the room and the yeasties take off...

Someone, Grinder I think posted a pic once of 2 carboys touching each other, and one one of the carboys the krausen had formed only on the side that touched the other carboy...probably reacting to the heat of the first fermentation....but it was like symbiotic or something...

With living micro-organisms there is always a wildcard factor in play...and yet the yeast rarely lets us down. So it is best just to rdwhahb and trust that they know to what they are doing.

Don't assume the worst with the yeast, realize that they've been making beer since long before our great great great grandfather copped his first buzz from a 40 of mickey's out back of the highschool, so they are the experts.

Yeasts are like teenagers, swmbos, and humans in general, they have their own individual way of doing things.

For example, I brewed my belgian wit on dec 27th, only this time instead of pitching on the saison cake I used a large starter of bottle harvested hoegaarden.

It ended up with a thick two inch krausen on it.

Guess what, after over 2 weeks, I still have the huge krausen. I took a reading on Saturday and it is at 1.009, so it's done, but that krausen is hanging on.

The hydro sample tasted awesome though.

You just can't assume something based on what you see or don't see, or think something is wrong just because it acts "different" from other fermentations.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-11-2010, 07:54 PM   #13
oach
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

That's what I have done to. I aerate the wort as best as I can so that the yeast has some oxygen to work with.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #14
oach
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Revvy, thank you for the input. That makes me feel better. Hopefully the yeast will be going as expected when I get home.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:05 PM   #15
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

I had a notty not bloom once it just sank to the bottom and it never started I waited a 3 days on the fourth I pitched a new rehydrated pack took off in about 7 hours . If the yeast does nothing when you hydrate it then its suspect to say the least.

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 01-11-2010, 09:20 PM   #16
Netflyer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 45

My HBS guy always makes fun of Notty but I suspect it is because he really wants to sell the WPL or WY... I have had good success with it as have tons of other folks in here.

I'm hoping maybe the 66 is just a bit too cold for it to ramp up quick and perhaps in the next 24 hours you get activity.

I also agree that the yeast have been doing their job for millions of years, probably billions and it knows what to do. I have faith in the yeast. You know there is a but coming... sorry, but they are living organisms and as such can be killed. So in the infinite possibilities at least one has to be that they are kaput. I hope not But, it could be...

Kegged:
RiClarke's Guinuess Clone w/da sour 6.4% ABV 1057 SG 1009 FG

Old 01-11-2010, 09:57 PM   #17
aubrey
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I had a notty not bloom once it just sank to the bottom and it never started I waited a 3 days on the fourth I pitched a new rehydrated pack took off in about 7 hours . If the yeast does nothing when you hydrate it then its suspect to say the least.
I used notty for the first time on saturday and was startled when I went into the room an hour after pitching and it was gurgling away.
Secondary: Bavarian Hefewizen (extract)
Bottle: Blue Moon clone, Sam Adams Boston Ale Clone, Christmas Chocolate Stout (All Grain)
Keg: AHS West Coast Pale Ale, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde (All Grain)

Old 01-12-2010, 03:28 AM   #18
oach
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I think I am losing it

aubrey, what did you do to rehydrate your yeast. Please put step by step to see if I messed something up. Also, did yours all drop our did it sort of "bubble" up at the top?

Old 01-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #19
aubrey
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did exactly what it says on the back of the package with the added step of first boiling the water:

1: boil a few cups of water
2: pour 100ml (4oz) into a container
3: cool to 90* F
4: once to 90 (stir to make sure its completely to 90) sanitize the yeast package and cut open.
5: Pour contents of yeast package into water. Do not stir.
6: Wait 15 minutes
7: Should see some slight bubbling by now
8: Stir yeast into the water to fully saturate
9: let sit until ready to use. The longer it sits the more it will foam up
10: pour yeast into wort
11: pour a little more of the water into the container that had your yeast, swirl around and dump into carboy, to make sure you get every last little yeasty friend.

If the yeast don't at least bubble a little when you put them in the warm water, they're either dead, or in shock. Its called "proofing" because you're "proving" the yeast are viable by rehydrating and looking for signs of life. Wherever you got the yeast from should replace the package, especially since its only $1.50 a package.

Secondary: Bavarian Hefewizen (extract)
Bottle: Blue Moon clone, Sam Adams Boston Ale Clone, Christmas Chocolate Stout (All Grain)
Keg: AHS West Coast Pale Ale, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde (All Grain)

Old 01-12-2010, 02:03 PM   #20
oach
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I guess I am not as far off my rocker as I first thought. That's exactly what I did and all the yeast did was fall to the bottom during the first 15 minutes it was in the water. My other two times I brewed it worked fine but now it is giving me fits.

Quick Reply