Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 3rd Time Brewing, No Yeast Action

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2010, 12:10 PM   #1
oach
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default 3rd Time Brewing, No Yeast Action

Hey All,

It has been almost 48 hours with no action going on in the fermenter of my third beer. I know this might be a little early to worry, but I use Nottingham dry yeast since it neutral (I will start exploring the complexities of yeast soon) and a quick starter and fermenter.

There are obviously many reasons why this could be but my brew day went the same as any other and I used the same yeast I used in the past. The only difference was boiling the cup of water before I put the yeast in (yes, I let it cool to 90 degrees before adding the yeast) per John Palmer's book in the yeast section on dry yeast. I usually just place the yeast in hot water from the tap, no boiling.

Usually the yeast "bubbles" up when placed in water before pitching, this time it just sank to the bottom and has done the same in the carboy.

Is this set of yeast screwed and should I pick up another packet of yeast tonight?

Thank you for your time and help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #2
lunchbox
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What was the OG and what is it now? Also, what temperature is it at?

Old 01-11-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
oach
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

1.058 OG and temp is 66 degrees.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
Netflyer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 45

If you are worried pitch another packet of notty... If it was 90 and you put it in 66F you may have shocked the little buggers... I'd pitch another pack, 48 hours is kinda long for nodda...

Kegged:
RiClarke's Guinuess Clone w/da sour 6.4% ABV 1057 SG 1009 FG

Old 01-11-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netflyer View Post
.... 48 hours is kinda long for nodda...
No it's not.......

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/

and by "visible signs, we do NOT mean airlock bubbling.

So, oach by "no action" what exactly are you referring to?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-11-2010, 04:18 PM   #6
Netflyer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Good Pt. it could be the 'not to be trusted' airlock... I've never had yeast take more than 12 hours to get going but these guys are WAY more experienced than me so I gladly yield!

Kegged:

Old 01-11-2010, 04:33 PM   #7
aubrey
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netflyer View Post
Good Pt. it could be the 'not to be trusted' airlock... I've never had yeast take more than 12 hours to get going but these guys are WAY more experienced than me so I gladly yield!
I dunno, he said he proofed it and it didn't bloom.

Have you checked your thermometer for accuracy? Maybe you killed it with the boiled/cooled water.
Secondary: Bavarian Hefewizen (extract)
Bottle: Blue Moon clone, Sam Adams Boston Ale Clone, Christmas Chocolate Stout (All Grain)
Keg: AHS West Coast Pale Ale, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde (All Grain)

Old 01-11-2010, 04:50 PM   #8
Netflyer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

That's kinda why I just tossed out the possibility of a re-pitch. Nottingham is fairly inexpensive - I guess wait another day or so and if nothing repitch... but Revvy's point is quite valid, how does he know it's not fermenting. The answer there for me would be to check the temperature first, has it risen due to any possible heat of fermentation. Second I suppose I would (dread) open the fermenter and look for signs of fermentation, maybe even take a gravity reading if I already had the sucker open. Obviously the scary part is talking over 2 day old sweet wort and exposing it to the open room.

Kegged:

Old 01-11-2010, 06:29 PM   #9
oach
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I actually can't see anything happening like I usually do, which includes seeing the yeast moving in the wort. To the best I can see it is all part of the trub on the bottom.

I didn't put the yeast into the carboy until the water was 72 degrees in terms of the water that the yeast was in. At the time the water in the carboy was 75.

Before I left for work this morning I did shake the crap out of the carboy hoping to get the yeast in suspension and hungry.

Any other ideas? I am going to pick up a pack of yeast for sure on the way home tonight.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #10
robertvrabel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Did you rock your carboy back and forth BEFORE adding yeast to your wort? When you put your wort into your carboy and its cooled down and your all finished... just rock your carboy back and forth for a few minutes to get oxygen back into your wort. Then add your yeast to it.

I'm not pro... but i've done 2 batches so far and I've seen active signs of fermentation within a couple of hours, definitely after 24 hours I see a lot. Maybe all brews are different... but I'm just giving you my experience on the two I've done so far!

Quick Reply