Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 3rd batch done.. I may be catching on..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2011, 08:55 PM   #1
GreenDragon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default 3rd batch done.. I may be catching on..

So did my 3rd batch Thursday morning before heading out to the pub. I did the Coopers Wheat Beer kit with the "alcohol boost" from Austin Brewing. This was my first try at a few new things so I wanted a nice easy kit. The Coopers kit was cake.

This is my first run with my new magnetic stirrer. I did my starter Tuesday night and just left it on the stirrer until I was ready for it on Thursday morning. Dispite my bad luck with them, I used a Wyeast 3333: German Wheat. It's been over 48 hours now since I pitched and there is still a steady stream of bubbles coming through the airlock, so I think it worked this time.

Another first for me was aerating. I picked up a $10 aquarium pump. It's for 15-30 gallon tanks and has two output hoses. I zippy tied the hoses to a clean and sterilized metal rod I made from a coat hanger. I let it aerate for about 40 minutes.

Finally, sadly also a first, I remember to take my OG reading before adding the yeast! 1.056

I also stumbled on a way to cool my wart in a decent amount of time. I leave the stopper on the sink about 3/4th on. I can then adjust the water flow to where it's can just perfectly keep it refilled. Once I got down to 115F I topped it off with the 2 gallons of pre-chilled water and I was sitting comfortably at 80F. It dropped a few more degrees when I added the pre-hopped Coopers extract.

Next up is a partial mash IPA and then I may try my hand at an AG. Thanks for all the help and advice over the past month!

-------------------------------------------------
Keg 1 : Bee Cave's House Pale Ale
Keg 2 :
Fermenting: Irish Wee Heavy
On Deck: La Blue Girl Blueberry Wheat

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
TwoFortySX
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Good Job!

Old 03-20-2011, 01:49 AM   #3
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts

I always forget to take my gravity reading before pitching the yeast! I don't know why but I get in the zone and just forget haha.

You will enjoy partial mash. I just did my first PM today, a dogfish 60 minute IPA clone. It was alot of fun.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:16 AM   #4
Bear85
Recipes 

What happens if you take the OG after pitching the yeast? Does it just skew the reading or something worse? Just did my first ever brew yesterday and made that mistake. I was worried that we'd just taken out half the yeast I pitched in moments before.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:20 AM   #5
dbsmith
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear85 View Post
What happens if you take the OG after pitching the yeast? Does it just skew the reading or something worse? Just did my first ever brew yesterday and made that mistake. I was worried that we'd just taken out half the yeast I pitched in moments before.
I think your reading will be fine, but people just worry about removing some of the yeast in the fermentor.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:27 AM   #6
NorthRiverS
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Your reading won't change 'til fermentation starts which won't begin immediately. I would say if you took your reading within 24 hours, it should be pretty accurate.

NRS

Old 03-21-2011, 12:54 AM   #7
GreenDragon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't know if it was the temp I pitched at or keeping the starter on the stir plate for 48 hours or the 40 mins of aeration I pumped into it, but at almost 4 full days and the airlock is still going pretty regularly

I know the airlock isn't the only sign of fermentation, but seeing it bubbling still after 4 full days is nice. Both my previous two batches were pretty much done after 48 hours or so.

-------------------------------------------------
Keg 1 : Bee Cave's House Pale Ale
Keg 2 :
Fermenting: Irish Wee Heavy
On Deck: La Blue Girl Blueberry Wheat

Quick Reply