The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 3rd batch, 1st starter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2012, 04:18 AM   #1
BronxFireGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 3rd batch, 1st starter

Annnd I used dry yeast. Brewing NB American wheat, (extract) and while it doesn't call for a starter, I figured I'd try it out since its a pretty simple kit to brew. I was looking up an answer for another question about starters, and lo and behold I find everyone stating to NOT use dry yeast for a starter.

So, now my question is should I be worried? I pitched around 8 hours ago, and my primary started bubbling away a couple of hours ago. Not to crazy, but on par with my past 2 batches. Should I expect any off flavors? Or is active fermentation enough to know I didn't mess up the dry yeast too badly?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2012, 05:12 AM   #2
nanofreak
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

What was the original gravity of your beer? What dry yeast did you pitch?

Most dry yeasts come in healthy enough that all you have to do is rehydrate them and pitch. They also come in packs that are big enough for most beers. Over pitching can cause some issues, but you would know that more by taste than by activity in your fermentation.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 16

As mentioned, most dry yeast sachets that are 11g contain a high enough cell count were starters are not needed. However, I'm sure the starter will not harm your beer. It is very difficult for a homebrewer to overpitch to the point where it has adverse effects on the final product. Also, its good practice for when you make starters using liquid yeast! Yesterday I made my biggest starter to date. 1 gallon !!

Old 03-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
BronxFireGuy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used safale us-05 ale yeast, OG was right on at 1.043. Lesson learned, but I just wanted to try out making the starter before I brewed my next beer, which calls for secondary and starter. I appreciate the replies.

Quick Reply