Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 3056 Bavarian Wheat starter taste?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2008, 09:26 AM   #1
yemu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 3056 Bavarian Wheat starter taste?

Hi all,
I made a starter using Wyeast 3056 yeast, I tasted it yesterday and it's a little sour. I've read on the Wyeast page that tartness and sourness is a part of these yeast profile. I also know that german hefe weizen beers are a little sour, but I'm not sure if the starter is not contaminated. I think it's ok, the sourness is more citrusy and less vinegar, and it smells nice (no sour, no vinegar smell)

Anyone ever tasted 3056 starter and can confirm that a little sourness is normal?

Thanks in advance
Y

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2008, 04:11 PM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by yemu View Post
Hi all,
I made a starter using Wyeast 3056 yeast, I tasted it yesterday and it's a little sour. I've read on the Wyeast page that tartness and sourness is a part of these yeast profile. I also know that german hefe weizen beers are a little sour, but I'm not sure if the starter is not contaminated. I think it's ok, the sourness is more citrusy and less vinegar, and it smells nice (no sour, no vinegar smell)

Anyone ever tasted 3056 starter and can confirm that a little sourness is normal?

Thanks in advance
Y
If you didn't add hops to the starter, some sourness is pretty normal. See a recent episode of Basic Brewing Video where they made a bunch of beers with base malts only - most of them were sour.
Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 12-03-2008, 04:19 PM   #3
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

I never taste my starters, but the 3056 starter always smells like banana bread to me

Quick Reply